5 Short Tips for the Vertically Challenged

This post is dedicated to all my petite girls who always seem to have trouble finding something to wear that doesn’t make them look so short. As a girl who stands at an astonishing 5 feet 3 inches tall, I know your pain. Fear not! I have a come up with a few styling tips that I have found useful over the years and hopefully, you will find useful as well.

1. Wear high heels to your advantage.

Obviously, heels can make you look taller but there’s more to consider when buying heels than just the heel height. Try and go for heels that match your skin tone or your color of your hosiery. Fashion is all about illusion for us who are vertically challenged and investing in a pair of heels that match your skin tone can easily give you the illusion of longer legs. Try to avoid heels that have ankle strap or ankle boots because they tend to add some bulk which in turn causes a more stunted look

2. Don’t be afraid to show a little skin.

Showing the right amount of skin can easily visually elongate the body. I like to buy tops that have plunging v-neck necklines or dresses and maxi skirts that have a slit up the side to show some leg. Circle skirts and skater skirts that sit right on the waist and flow to about mid-thigh also help legs look longer. Also, leave the buttons undone when wearing jackets, cardigans, or blazers to create a longer line.

3. Think tall not wide.

The idea is to look taller than you actually are. Avoid clothing that has a heavy amount of ruffles or pleats or anything that will make you look wider than you actually are. If I wear something that’s a bit baggy I try to tighten it up by wearing a belt.

4. Neutrals with a pop of color.

As I’ve said earlier neutrals or things that match your skin tone can really help you to look taller but it doesn’t hurt to add a few pieces of color to that. I feel that a pop of color can instantly attract attention to an outfit, especially one that’s made of neutral pieces.

5. Invest in a good tailor or just Do It Yourself

Unfortunately not every store is petite friendly. I’ve found that is really help to find a tailor that you can trust to cut and style your fabric the way you want it. Another option is to just hem and stitch things yourself. There are tons of tutorials on youtube and on pinterest that are really useful. And on the plus side, it’ll save you a couple bucks.

For those of you who are really looking for stores that are petite friendly, here is a list of them:

• Nordstrom (this is where I get all my size 5 shoes!)
  • Asos (they have their own petite section which is divine)
  • Banana Republic
  • Theory
  • White House Black Market
  • Gap
  • J.Crew
  • Express
  • Topshop
  • Old Navy

Hope these tips help you out!

Happy styling!

xoxo