Summertime in MKE

IT’S ALMOST SUMMERTIME

Here’s how to make the livin’ easy

Sure, in Milwaukee we’re used to nine months of clouds, rain and snow. But for three months the gods decide to give this dreary city some sunshine–and suddenly Milwaukee transforms. Restaurants, bars and concerts instantly become more fun when you’re in shorts and tank tops. This summer, when the temperature heats up, throw on your flip flops, head off campus and have a great time in this quirky city.

Hints, HINTS & MORE HINTS

-The LIMOs still run in the summer.  Even though it’s warm out, stay safe!

-The summer is a great time to meet new friends in the Marquette community.  Since less people are here in the summer, you have more opportunity to get out of your regular crowd and hang out with your new neighbor or that kid from class.

-If your house or apartment doesn’t have air conditioning, make sure you find a friend who does!  It gets hot and humid.  If you can’t find friends with AC, head to Raynor, sprawl on a comfy chair and read that book you never got around to during the school year.

-Warning to new home and apartment renters:  You may not have television or Internet for the first few weeks of summer.  Be prepared to call Time Warner Cable before you move in, or to watch seasons of “The O.C.” or “Lost” on repeat.

-Biking is the easiest, cheapest and possibly fastest way to get around the city. For beginner bikers, ride on Wells Street and Kilbourn Avenue rather than Wisconsin Avenue.

-Party outside.  Come February, you will do anything to go back in time and drink wine on your balcony. But don’t leave your trash for neighbors to pick up.

-Treat yourself to outside brunch. Try The Wicked Hop in the Historic Third Ward.

-Unless you take summer classes, you won’t have homework. So take full advantage of the many happy hours downtown.

-Go out to eat at restaurants on the Milwaukee River. Try out Rustico for dollar slice pizza on Monday nights from 4 p.m. to close.

-Be prepared to spend money – but it’s all worth it.

-If possible, avoid the Rec Center after 5 p.m.  When everyone gets out of his or her jobs and internships it’s hard to find a good machine.

Go to Bradford Beach on Saturdays for the best people-watching in the city.  Even take a stab at volleyball, if you’re feeling adventurous.

Screen Shot 2013-04-23 at 11.45.36 AM
Click to enlarge

Screen Shot 2013-04-23 at 11.45.27 AM
Click to enlarge