Valentine’s Day Date Spots

Milwaukee offers a variety of trendy date spots for young couples. Whether you and your loved one prefer a fancy dinner or a night spent exploring the city, downtown Milwaukee is sure to provide every couple a memorable Valentine’s Day celebration this year.

For the new couple: Buckley’s on the corner of Wells St. and Cass.

Buckley’s is a small, family-owned restaurant nestled conveniently on Wells Street overlooking Lake Michigan. The tiffany blue walls and quirky paintings provide an intimate atmosphere for any couple looking for a unique menu that is sure to satisfy your every craving. During the summer it is not uncommon to find their European-style patio packed with professionals from the surrounding area. If planning for dinner, be sure to make a reservation at least a week in advance because seating is limited.

For the adventurous couple: Fred Astaire Dance Studio N. Milwaukee St, Historic Third Ward

Do you and your partner love trying new things? Take a step back in time and learn how to tango, salsa, swing and waltz at the Fred Astaire Dance Studio in the third ward. Dancing is the ultimate fantasy date, and is good for any relationship because it requires etiquette, communication and trust. Test your relationship and your dance skills by signing up for a trial lesson. At only $39, this date is the perfect alternative to a typical Valentine’s Day dinner.

For the hopeless romantic couple: Milwaukee Coach and Carriage

Take a stroll around downtown Milwaukee in a horse-drawn carriage after a nice dinner. Usually February’s weather is still cold, but by brining a blanket and a bottle of wine, you will warm up in no time. A carriage ride gives you and your special friend that one-on-one time that seems impossible to find on campus, and will give you a new perspective of the city and just how beautiful it is.

For the laid back couple: Comedy Sportz 420 S First S

Nothing brings a couple closer than sharing a few laughs. In Milwaukee there are two Comedy Sportz locations, which features the city’s best improv comedians. Shows are every Friday and Saturday but seats are limited due to high demand. Both locations are within five minutes from Marquette’s campus and best of all, the dress attire is casual. Any night can be spent catching up on Modern Family, but there’s nothing like watching live, raw comedy.

For the money-conscious couple: Movie Night

Valentine’s Day is not meant to put a whole in your pocket. Valentine’s Day is about showing the people you love how much you care about them. Many times the real meaning of the holiday gets lost among our society’s obsession with diamonds, chocolate, and balloons. If money is tight this year but you’re still looking to do something special, pop in a movie from Redbox, order in food and buy ingredients to make s’mores on the stove. With the constant stress of school, a low-key night in can be just as special as a night spent out on the town.

For the over 21 couple: Vino 100 E Erie St. Historic Third Ward

What screams Valentine’s Day besides chocolate and roses? Wine. Rather than paying for yet another brewery tour in Milwaukee, take the romantic route by signing up for a wine class at Vino 100. The two-hour class covers wine production, etiquette, pairing and tasting. At $70 the class is a steep investment for any college student, so compromise by making the ticket a combined valentines day gift to each other.