5 Snacks to Keep in your Dorm Room

Image provided by: jillianmichaels.com

1. Protein Bars: A protein bar is a quick and easy option for those mornings you wake up with 10 minutes to get ready for class. Grab a Cliff, Luna or Special-K Bar while you’re running out the door and enjoy it on your morning walk. Most protein bars contain less than 300 calories and provide at least 10 grams of protein, which will keep you fuller longer. Plus, they are portion controlled.
    2. Microwaveable Popcorn: Make sure to stock up on either the “fat-free” or “light butter” options so you aren’t doing more harm than good. Many people often forget popcorn is actually a whole grain, which makes this low-calorie treat a good option for a late-night snack.
    3. Dried fruit: College students fail to consume their daily dosage of fruits and vegetables. Since fruit doesn’t have a long shelf life, try buying bags of dried fruit. Be sure to watch your servings though, because dried fruit can be high in calories and sugars.
    4. Baby Carrots: Pre-packaged, and already washed. This snack is great when paired with hummus or ranch dressing. Use the carrots as a substitute for that bag of potato chips when you decide to get Jimmy Johns delivered. Your waistline will be thanking you.
    5. 100-calorie cookie packages: After a late night of studying, it is common to want to reward yourself with sugar. Rather than going to the hall store to get a candy bar or pint of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream, stick to one (let me repeat myself, ONE) 100-calorie package of your favorite cookie. Although these variations may not taste as good as Phish Food, it will certainly keep you from consuming an extra 800 calories before bed.