What to Eat on a Date

I’ll tell you, it is tough being a girl. While on a date society tells us we have to dress nice, carry the conversation, eat a salad, and hold off on a first kiss. Abiding by these societal rules are considered the “classy” thing to do.

But reading magazines like Cosmopolitan and Glamour often feature interviews with young men who argue opposite of society. Many of these “college dudes” want a girl who feels comfortable downing a burger, looks sexy in jeans and a white t-shirt, and makes the first move at the end of the date.

These mixed signals can send young women into an anxiety-induced frenzy the days leading up to the big night. To lessen your stress let’s tackle one major hurdle at a time, starting with one of the most debated questions: What to eat on a date.

1. Do your research: If you know where your new love interest will be taking you, pull up the restaurant’s menu online and explore your options. Find a few items that interest you so your decision is easier to make when the server asks if you’re ready to order.
    2. Snack before: When a girl is hungry, she has got to get her food. The last thing you want to be caught doing is stuffing your face with pasta while your date hasn’t even sprinkled on his parmesan cheese. Avoid this embarrassment by snacking on a 200-calorie (or less) snack packed with protein and fiber, such as an apple, string cheese or a handful of almonds.
    3. Avoid the breadbasket: Carbohydrates are great for energy, but bad for a diet. Push the breadbasket to the side and suggest splitting a salad. Filling up on empty carbs will only contribute to an upset stomach and bloating.
    4. Stick to items “broiled,” “baked,” or “grilled:” I suggest choosing a slice of lean meat for its high protein content. It will fill you up, and most come with a side of house veggies or mashed potatoes. Turn your eyes away from anything “breaded” or “fried.” These meats are high in trans fat from being soaked in oil. Chicken fingers should never be a first date meal!
    5. Skip the dessert: From my experience of working in eight different restaurants, I highly suggested skipping desserts. Most restaurants get their desserts from a delivery truck. Unless you know the delicious concoctions are home-made, politely decline and suggest to grab frozen yogurt nearby, or a cappuccino at a local coffee shop.

Have any funny first-date stories? Share below!