Milwaukee adds to your holiday spirit

If you’re in need of a little break from studying for exams and want to escape from campus, here are a few places that will get you in the holiday mood.

A Grand Avenue Christmas at the Captain Frederick Pabst Mansion, 2000 W. Wisconsin Ave., is popular during the Christmas season. Dawn Hourigan, executive director of the mansion, said local designers elegantly decorate the mansion’s rooms to transform them with stunning decorations for the holiday season. Tickets are $9 for adults and $8 for students. The mansion is open Monday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and on Sunday from noon to 4 p.m. Another attraction at the Pabst Mansion is live music from choir, guitar and piano musicians on Sundays at 1 p.m.

If you’re low on cash and looking for a fun, free time, head down to the 20th annual “Christmas in the Ward.” The festival is held at Catalano Square (N. Broadway & E. Menomonee St.), the Milwaukee Public Market (400 N. Water St.) and throughout the Historic Third Ward on Friday, Dec. 5 from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. and Saturday, Dec. 6 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Kristin Amenson, marketing and membership coordinator for the Historic Third Ward Association, said the most popular events include the holiday tree lighting ceremony, performances by Trinity Academy of Irish Dance, Jolly’s Gingerbread House, pictures with Santa Clause and horse-drawn carriage rides.

Really want to get in the holiday spirit? Then head over to the Milwaukee Ballet Company, located at 504 W. National Ave., to see the ever-popular “The Nutcracker Ballet.” Performances are from Dec.12 to Dec. 29. Chris Allen, marketing manager for the Milwaukee Ballet, said the most popular compliments the show receives is, “The extravagant and dramatic sets, and the visually stimulating costumes. And, of course, the music.” Students are in luck because tickets are half-price for college students who purchase their tickets the day of the show. Tickets start at $16 for balcony seats, which ballet-goers say is amazing because from there, you’re able to take in a view of the entire stage, scenery and cast.