REVIEW: Becky G’s new album “Esquinas”

It includes 13-tracks that connects to the roots of her Mexican heritage.

Mexican American singer-songwriter Becky G released her third album “Esquinas” on Sept. 28. It includes 13tracks that connects to the roots of her Mexican heritage.

On “Esquinas” release day Becky G wrote on Instagram, “Ser Mexicana es parte de quien soy, a nivel personal y como artista, es un honor y privilegio. Esquinas is a token of appreciation for the people who have been part of my life. It’s a project built on inspiration from the artists who have paved the way, helping generations like mine continue pursuing their dreams.”

Kemosabe RecordsBecky G was one of the first MexicanAmerican singer-songwriters I listened to who releases Spanish music. I come from a Spanishspeaking family, so I was always surrounded by Spanish music. I had never explored listening to Spanish music on my own until I found Becky G. The music she releases never disappoints and same can be said with this album, “Esquinas.”

With “Esquinas” Becky G creates a voice for this generation of MexicanAmerican singer-songwriters. Unlike Becky G’s previous albums she takes a step back from reggaeton to have the main focus be Mexican music. When I listened to “Esquinas” I felt like I was at home listening to the Spanish music my mom plays but this time its my generation of Mexican music.

“Cuidadito” featuring singer-songwriter Chiquis and “Un Puno De Tierra” give the feeling of being at home with the use of guitar and trumpets. “Cuidadito” was the first song I heard on the album that gave the feeling of home because it’s a song I’m sure my tias would put on to get the family dancing together. “Un Puno De Tierra” song adds another taste of the home feel in Becky G’s Mexican music with a message about moving on to follow your dream. It is an uplifting track on “Esquinas” about living your life to the fullest because as Becky G says, “A mi no me importa nada/Pa mi, la vida es un sueno.”

“Esquinas” opens with “2NDO Chance” featuring Ivan Cornejo which is about wanting to give someone in your life a second chance that no one believes deserves it. Becky G captures the mixed emotions in her lyrics “No se si decir, ‘te amo’/ Que te odio, que te quiero ver.” The song is a perfect song that opened the doors to feel the feelings of heartbreak in her new album.

Following “2NDO Chance” are Becky G’s songs of experiencing heartbreak “Cries in Spanish,” “Bien Canijo” and “La Nena.” The song “La Nena” was especially my favorite of the three songs because Becky G dances through the heartbreak. “La Nena” featuring Gabito Ballestros was released in late June which gave the opportunity for Becky G to tell her story through her lyrics after she called off her engagement.

Earlier this year, after cheating allegations were made, Becky G called off her engagement with soccer player Sebastian Lletget. At Coachella, Becky G’s subtle announcement about calling off her engagement aligns with the message of this album. Becky G lets her fans in with “Esquinas” by going through all the stages of heartbreak and directing you to find love for your life.

After featuring songs of moving on from heartbreak, Becky G adds songs about having feelings for someone new in “Patras” and “Los Astros.” Personally, I loved “Patras” because she wrote a song that captures having feelings for someone you can’t have.

“Chanel” featuring Peso Pluma adds to “La Nena” with the feelings of moving forward from a relationship. Becky G released “Chanel” in March as one of the first singles on the album. It is another one of my favorites because it had a transition from her origin of reggaeton to feature the Mexican roots with the use of trumpets that show appreciation for her family who paved the way for her.

Becky G closes her album with a song to her late grandfather “Querido Abuelo.” The song is a love letter to her abuelo thanking him for everything he’s taught her and how proud she is to represent their family. Personally, this was one of my favorite songs off the album because how emotional it is. I thought was a perfect way for Becky G to close her album paying tribute to her Mexican heritage.

“Esquinas” by Becky G made me feel at home. Becky G created an album that will make people feel at home but connect with new generations of Latin and Latino Americans.

I rate this album: 5/5

This story was written by Reyna Galvez. She can be reached at [email protected].