SACCO: The passage of time

Time is a finicky thing and something I wish I had more of, especially now as I sit here writing this twelve hours before the deadline. This is something I desperately want to get right, but also something I know will never even begin to encapsulate every experience I’ve had thus far. 

Since the start of the spring semester, my roommates and I have had a countdown until graduation whiteboard posted on our wall. We updated it dutifully every single day, squealing with joy when we hit another milestone — 90 days, 60 days, 30 days —  and now, we are a mere three weeks out. 

First-year me would be jumping for joy if she knew we made it this far. She would’ve been amazed to know that, yes, you will get through midterms and finals, and every stretch of time that feels like a hole, you’ll never be able to crawl out from. 

Sometimes, time gets stolen from us whether we like it or not.  

Everyone has something to say about the peak of COVID-19, myself included. I vividly remember packing up my dorm and heading home for spring break, with no knowledge of the fact that I wouldn’t step foot on campus for another year and a half. To say a the pandemic threw a wrench in my plans is a severe understatement. 

I knew from the moment I committed to Marquette that I wanted to join the Marquette Wire, but I told myself that I would settle in first and get my head together, then apply my sophomore year. 

Spoiler alert: that didn’t happen. 

I spent the entirety of my sophomore year at home, with a completely virtual class schedule and a corner of my room dedicated solely to Teams meetings and schoolwork. 

The toll that 10-month period took on my mental health cannot be overstated. I was left feeling directionless and without purpose like it was inevitable that I was going to fall behind and ruin every opportunity presented to me thus far. Every day was a drag, and time seemed committed to going as slowly as possible. 

The summer before my junior year, I took a leap of faith and decided I was going to apply to Marquette Radio. Mind you, I had absolutely no experience and was really just looking to get my foot in the door. 

I never could’ve prepared myself for all that student media has taught and given me. Being involved in the Wire taught me the true value of time: that nobody ever has enough of it, but somehow we all still make some for each other. 

As we approach graduation, I find myself being even more grateful for the little moments; laughing in the newsroom until our stomachs hurt, team outings to explore the city that has given us so much and late-night Portillo’s runs because we just need some fresh air and maybe a cake shake. 

My time at the Wire is something I will carry with me for the rest of my life. Student media gave me my confidence, my voice and my purpose back — I just needed the right people to help me realize my potential. 

Thank you to every single person who has crossed my path at the Wire in the last two years. I wish I had more time with all of you, but know that not a second of it has gone unappreciated. 

Continue to do great things, and don’t let time pass you by. Make the most of every moment, and who knows where it might take you.