WEN: A home far away from home

As an international student who did not come home for four years, the Marquette Wire became a home far away from home to make friends, practice directing skills and help me achieve my dream of being an international director.  

When I first came to Marquette, I was ignorant, but now I am about to graduate and my eyes are full of reluctance. I used to think four years was a long time, and we still have a lot of time, but we only have a few weeks left now. I still don’t know how to say goodbye to the place where I stayed for four years. 

I still remember the first time I came to MUTV; I fell in love with the fancy technologies in the control room and signed up to volunteer in the teleprompter position. During the rehearsal, the anchor said, “That’s way too fast; slow down!” I felt like I did a terrible job and found it hard to do the teleprompter. After the first time I volunteered, I didn’t sign up to volunteer for a couple of weeks because I didn’t want to hold everyone back and make mistakes. Former production directors Julia Jarman and Maize Baldus asked me, encouraged me to return and told me I was doing great. I came back to volunteer again. Practice makes perfect. I did a better job than my first time, it was not perfect, but it was better. Trying and practicing are the first steps of learning.  

In my sophomore year, I nervously applied for the position of production assistant director. After applying, I thought I would not get the offer because my English is not good, and so many people are better than me. However, I was pleasantly surprised to get the offer. I appreciated this opportunity and wanted to do as many things as possible in this position.   

Then I become the only international student in MUTV.  

In my junior year, Mazie encouraged me to direct a sports show. My first thought was no because my English was not good, and I didn’t think I had enough knowledge and experience to direct a show. Other production members, Richie and Caroline, supported me and told me to try directing a show. I felt nervous, but Mazie sat next to me during rehearsals and live broadcasts and encouraged me, telling me that I did a good job and that this was the beginning of my directorial journey. After the first time directing a show, I saw many shortcomings in myself and felt that I was still far from my dream of becoming a director. In my senior year, I felt more confident about every production role I was doing since I stayed on this team for almost four years. I can also teach Luke everything I know and let other people find a home that I found before. Richie encouraged me to direct Marquette Lately, and I did it. I have more and more experience in directing, and I have become more confident. 

My growth and experiences were not smooth sailing, but I am grateful to the Marquette Wire for letting me feel everything is much better than I imagined. I can’t imagine how I would spend every night if I didn’t join MUTV.  

I didn’t have a chance to return home because of the pandemic, and I miss my family so much, but I am grateful to Marquette Wire for giving me the feeling of home. Thanks for so many opportunities here to let me become a better version of myself; thanks for taking a chance on me even if I didn’t know anything initially. Thanks to everyone who supported and encouraged me over the past four years.