HOUSTON: Defining “See you later”

I have never been good with goodbyes.  

I remember talking to my mom before everything changed about how easy it would be to come back and visit for the weekend if I got second home sick. Just a straight shot for fifty-some miles down I-294 and I’ll be in the Milwaukee Public Market, surrounded by the various food stalls sharing the collective and overwhelming process of choosing just what to eat with 100 some people, going to see the sunrise on the first day that’s above forty degrees, hopping on the bus and riding up to the Oriental Theater for a movie premier or a midnight showing of the Rocky Horror Picture Show, coming back to see Ring It Out or Spring Concert to support my friends I’m leaving behind.  

For me, that’s not a reality anymore. When you get the call that your dream is finally coming true, you forget that there are always trade-offs. I never envisioned myself leaving the Midwest so soon, headed to California of all places, leaving me less than two months to say goodbye to everything I’ve ever known.  

Though it took me a while, finding the Marquette Wire was one of the best things that has happened to me during my college career. I started as an arts and entertainment reporter on a whim, writing about my passion for music with numerous concert reviews. This led me to apply to be a part of the Marquette Radio team my senior year, doing a complete 180, running a social media page, planning live concerts, and having the opportunity to meet a multitude of Milwaukee artists. It gave me a glimpse into the music industry, giving me the confidence to potentially pursue a job in the music industry someday. I was able to be supported by so many amazing people, pushing myself to write for a paper and then to go on to plan my own event for Marquette Radio and making bonds that will last a lifetime. 

My senior year has been the most difficult of all of my years at Marquette, despite what many may say, but I always felt like what I was doing with the radio was meaningful. Every single live concert we put on, I could see and feel the passion of every one of the desk members permeate through the artists and the audience. Being a part of this team has truly been a light throughout it all. I know that this team is leaving behind a legacy that will stoke the fire of many future desks to come. It gives me a sense of pride knowing that I was a piece of this incredible puzzle. 

When there is so much to lose, how do you say goodbye? It is simple, you don’t. You say, “See you later.” Thank you to every single person on The Marquette Wire for making it so hard to say goodbye and so easy to say “See you later.” I cannot wait to watch everything you will accomplish, even if it’s from a little more than fifty miles away.