LEUZZI: I did it my way

From an early age, I always knew I wanted to make a living involving sports. The initial dream, as it is for any nine-year-old, was to be a Major League Baseball player and play for my hometown team, the Philadelphia Phillies.

But something about an 0-for-4 box score with three strikes during an 8th grade township game told me that dream was washed.

So I managed the baseball team all four years of high school to stay around the game, while also being part of the student broadcasting club. The latter seemed to be just a hobby at the time.

Then the light bulb clicked going into my senior year: why not cover sports for a living? My initial response was, ‘This could be cool.’ Covering and broadcasting games these last three years have been fun. Why not?

But what I did not know at the time was what this decision would soon bring me.

My first two years at Marquette and the Wire I was following the “path” of those in front of me. It seemed like the logical thing to do if I wanted to find success at the Wire, so I thought.

Then came March 26, 2021. It seems like a random day picked out of the calendar, right? Not to me.

It’s the day that I realized I could do this thing called “journalism” and do it my way.

For sake of word count and already writing about this, I will SparkNote the symbolism: I followed Mark Zoromski’s advice of being a “I’ll do it” person. 

It was by saying “Yes” to the assignment of standing outside the Al McGuire Center as rumors of Shaka Smart becoming Marquette’s next head coach, I was able to get confirmation on the hire before any official release.

This moment soon shaped what is now history. I took the leap of faith and belief that my colleagues, who have now become my best friends, had in me and applied for Executive Sports Editor which I ended up getting and have served in the last two years.

And so, as I have grown as a journalist and editor the last two years, I’ve realized that I have formed my own path and have found success just as Frank Sinatra would: my way. I’m not sure if I would have spent the last two years as the lead men’s basketball beat reporter, which was capped off by being in Madison Square Garden to cover Marquette’s first Big East Tournament title run, if I didn’t say “Yes” on March 26.

To my Marquette Wire family, I will forever be grateful for our time and memories made inside and outside the newsroom. Thank you for allowing me to be myself and pushing me each day to be a better journalist.

To my sports desk, I don’t know where to start. Each and every single one of you mean everything to me. Serving as your Executive Sports Editor the last two years has been an honor and something I will forever remember.

To my mentors — Dan Avington, John Steppe, Aimee Galaszewski, Jack Phillips, Matt Yeazel, Tyler Peters, Mark, Dave Umhoefer, Gerry Ahern and Michael Huang — I wouldn’t be the journalist I am today without each of you. Thank you for your constant support and friendship.

To Kim Cook, I’m lucky to have by my side and to have your constant love and support. Nothing has made me happier than sharing and spending my senior year with you. Thank you for being my No. 1 fan.

And to my family, there are no words to express how thankful and grateful I am for the support from each one of you these last four years as I pursued this dream of mine. I love you guys!

This isn’t goodbye. It’s just a see you later. THANK YOU Marquette Wire for being my home away from home these last four years. THANK YOU for forming me into journalist I am today. THANK YOU for everything.

This article was written by John Leuzzi. He can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter @JohnLeuzziMU.