Students look to get involved in upcoming election

Photo by Forster Goodrich
Marquette students can get a student voter ID in the AMU.

With early voting starting and Election Day (Nov. 8) just a few weeks away, nonpartisan efforts to vote in Wisconsin elections are taking place at Marquette.

For some college students, this might be the first time they vote in an election. College students have the choice of voting in the state where they attend college or in their home state.

“Young voters, specifically our generation, are the least represented in general elections and local elections. Since we are the future of America, it is important that we are engaged in the world around us,” Mari Crowley, a sophomore in the College of Communication and member of Marquette Votes, said.

Marquette Votes is a nonpartisan group of student leaders dedicated to increasing voter turnout on campus.

Crowley mentioned that local elections are more important than presidential campaigns because they affect you more directly. Crowley said that it is important as a college student to know what’s going on politically not only on a national level but especially on a local level.

“Marquette University seeks to foster civic engagement not only through non-partisan voter registration efforts but also through other non-partisan efforts like helpful trained voting ambassadors,” Mary Czech-Mrochinski, the senior director for public affairs, said in an email.

Czech-Mrochinski said that the federal government has made it clear that they want higher education students who are eligible to vote to be informed about the electoral process.

She also mentioned that because of the Federal Student Aid Program, Marquette University must comply with Section 487(a)(23) of the Higher Education Act of 1965  which references the National Voter Registration Act of 1993 and requires higher education institutes to distribute voter registration forms to their students. At Marquette, students can get any voter registration questions answered online.  

“This is an opportunity for eligible voters to cast a ballot in multiple races for federal, state, and county offices, ” Czech said in an email.

The ballot for Wisconsin’s midterm election will include Governor/Lieutenant Governor, Attorney General, Secretary of State, State Treasurer, United States Senator, Representative In Congress District 4, Representative To The Assembly District 16, Milwaukee County Sheriff, Milwaukee County Clerk Of Circuit Court, Milwaukee County Firearms Referendum and Milwaukee County Marijuana Referendum.

Marquette Votes is also hosting events with Ian’s pizza and Marquette’s Civic Dialogues Program where students can come and learn more about the candidates and the issues in the 2022 Midterm Elections starting Oct. 24 and ending Nov. 7.

If you do register to vote in Wisconsin, the Milwaukee Elections Commission offers early voting. For students voting early, they are offering transportation to and from polling locations from Oct. 27 – Nov. 4. However, if you are registered to vote and want to vote on Election Day, Marquette’s Alumni Memorial Union will be an on-campus polling location on Nov. 8 from 7:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m.

If planning to vote on Election Day, Marquette students can get a free student voter ID at the AMU. Students can use the “Voter ID Fee Statement” for proof of residence which can be located in CheckMarq. Students should also bring their Marquette ID and know the last four digits of their social security number.

Voting in smaller elections such as this upcoming general election, matters in determining the outcome. A swing state is a state that is not predominately led by the Republican or Democratic Party, but rather swings either way based on the voting outcome. Since Wisconsin is a swing state, the winning party can be determined by just a handful of votes.

“I believe it is everyone’s civic duty to participate in any election that they can, whether it be local or nationwide,” Niko Rios, a sophomore in the College of Engineering, said.

Rios is planning on voting in Texas, because he knows more about the Texan candidates. Rios also said Marquette students have lots of resources from Marquette to vote and should take advantage of them.

This story was written by Trinity Zapotocky. She can be reached at [email protected]