Places to celebrate spooky season in MKE

Photo by Claire Gallagher
The Avalon Atmospheric Theater is showing the movie “Save Yourselves!” on Oct. 7 and 8.

Fall is now upon us, and with the change of seasons comes a variety of fall festivities, such as thrilling haunted house experiences and pumpkin picking. Here are some spooky events happening in Milwaukee this month that you may want to check out. 

The Hill Has Eyes Milwaukee Haunted Houses

Every Friday through Sunday in October  | 15 minute drive

If you enjoy fear-induced heart attacks, then you might want to consider visiting The Hill Have Eyes Milwaukee Haunted Houses, which is hosting four different haunted experiences every Friday to Sunday throughout the month of October.

This year they are offering a “four haunts for the price of one” deal ranging from $35 to $39, depending on the time of your visit. The four different haunted houses are named “Carnivore,” “Contained and Led to Slaughter,” “Failed Escape” and “Hunger Hollow.” Just to highlight one of the experiences, Hunger Hollow is a haunted woods experience themed around cannibalistic mutants. Entering the woods means you will either become the hunter or the hunted.

Milwaukee County Zoo: “Boo at the Zoo”

Oct. 22-25, 5:30 to 9 p.m. | 15 minute drive

Take a trip over to the Milwaukee County Zoo for their “Boo at the Zoo” drive-thru, where visitors can take a tour of the Halloween-themed zoo from their own vehicles. The trip consists of light shows and takes you through sites such as the candy corn garden and pumpkin patch. The full route can be found online.

General visitors pay $55 per car to embark on a 30-minute, 1.5-mile journey around the zoo. There is a speed limit of 4 mph, and passing other vehicles is not allowed.

Riverside Theater Ghost Tours

Fridays and Saturdays from Oct. 9 to Oct.31, and Thursday Oct.29  | 5 minute drive

The Riverside Theater Ghost Tours at the Pabst Theater are centered around true paranormal activity that have been reported in the past. The theater, located just a mile from campus in the Third Ward, is home to a historic amount of ghost sightings and other scary experiences.

For $25, you can accept your fate and take part in a 60-minute tour involving tales from the haunted historians of Riverside Theater, as well as listen to unexplainable electronic voice phenomena from past ghost hunts. For $150, you can take part in a 3-hour investigation involving an experienced spiritual medium, access to exclusive ghost hunting equipment and the opportunity to explore paranormal hot spots with some seasoned veterans in the field.

Avalon Atmospheric Theater

Oct. 7 and 8 at 6:45 p.m. | 10 minute drive

A movie experience with a wild twist, Avalon is showing a romantic comedy and science fiction movie titled “Save Yourselves!” on Oct. 7 and 8 at 6:45 p.m. This will be a 4K presentation of a humorous relationship involving a couple who venture out to a cabin in the woods to escape technology for a little while, only to experience an alien invasion. If you want to have a laugh while watching a movie in very high quality, consider hopping on a bus and venturing to the Avalon, located just off of Kinnickinnic Ave. 

Lindners Farm Pumpkin Patch

Open daily from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. now until Oct. 31 | 20 minute drive

The Lindner Pumpkin Patch, located in New Berlin, can be a great day trip and a fun way to get into the Halloween spirit. The farm offers a wide variety of pumpkins, gourds and fall decorations, as well as a petting zoo with goats, mini pigs, bunnies and more. While you are there, check out the Olde Tyme Playground, Corn Maze and Scarecrow Speedway pedal tractor racetrack as well.

This story was written by Tommy Shaffer.He can be reached at [email protected].