Volleyball completes second sweep in 24-hour period with win at Georgetown

Hannah Vanden Berg (2) attempts a kill against Creighton in MU's five-set loss at the Al McGuire Center.

Photo by Zach Bukowski

Photo by Zach Bukowski

Photo by Zach Bukowski

No. 12 Marquette had no trouble beating the Georgetown Hoyas in straight sets (25-15, 25-10, 25-17) Saturday evening.

Although the Hoyas jumped out to a 6-3 lead, after the Golden Eagles made a few adjustments and limited their attack errors, Marquette went on an 11-2 run to claim complete control of the first set. The final point ended on a Georgetown service error.

While MU held the Hoyas to .167 clip, the Golden Eagles combined to hit at a .611 clip.

Marquette quickly took a 16-6 lead in the second set before winning the set 25-10.

Most of the final set was much of the same Marquette domination, never relinquishing the lead and claiming a 25-17 victory to secure the sweep.

The Golden Eagles never hit below a .435 clip despite eight service errors. MU’s seven total blocks helped hold the Hoyas’ offense to almost no success at a .060 clip.

Senior Allie Barber tied with Georgetown’s Iva Vujosevic for a match-high 11 kills. Barber did not have any errors and hit for a stellar .524 clip.

Junior Hope Werch finished with eight kills, two service aces and four digs. Freshman Hannah Vanden Berg added eight kills on 11 attempts, hitting at a career-best .636 clip. Sophomore Claire Mosher finished with a match-high 23 assists and also had seven digs. Junior Martha Konovodoff contributed a team-high 11 digs.

No. 12 Marquette (17-3, 7-1 BIG EAST) will continue its road swing Friday at St. John’s. First serve is set for 6 p.m. Central Standard Time.