HYPE MU will perform spring showcase Friday

HYPE+Marquette+performs+a+dance+showcase+once+during+each+semester.+%0APhoto+courtesy+of+HYPE+Marquette.+
HYPE Marquette performs a dance showcase once during each semester. Photo courtesy of HYPE Marquette.

Marquette’s HYPE dance team is hosting its free spring hip-hop showcase Friday at 7:30 p.m. at the Weasler Auditorium, which will feature hip-hop groups from the area in this biannual performance.

Anastasia Cokinos, a freshman in the College of Education, said HYPE Marquette will be performing four sets, with two or three dances in each set.

Manuela Chaves, co-director of HYPE Marquette and a junior in the College of Business Administration, said HYPE Marquette was given its name in 2001 by John Cunningham. It originally stood for Hot Young Professional Entertainment, but Chaves said, “We just tell people … it’s HYPE because we’re hyped.”

HYPE has been practicing since the second week of the semester for this showcase, Chaves said.

Sofia Manglano, a sophomore in the College of Communication, said she loves seeing all of the hard work come together.

“Being onstage with my team (is my favorite part) … It’s so much fun to hype each other up when we’re dancing and have that energy and vibe with each other,” Manglano said. “We’ve worked so hard this whole semester, so it’s such a release of excitement and it’s such a blast being on stage with my HYPE family members.”

Manglano said she has been dancing since she was a child.

“I started (dancing) when I was 3, just like any other girl, just doing ballet, and then I guess I loved it so much I kept doing it,” she said.

Manglano started dancing with HYPE her first semester of her freshman year. HYPE was her introduction to true hip-hop, and she said she loves it.

While HYPE has several experienced dancers, a dancing background is not a requirement for those interested in joining HYPE.

“I actually didn’t really dance before coming to Marquette,” Chaves said. “I did dance in elementary school for two years and hip-hop was my favorite.”

Chaves found out about HYPE Marquette at O-Fest, the semesterly organization fest and community service fair where students can learn about and sign up for extracurricular activities. Information about HYPE Marquette can be found at O-Fest, and anyone looking to join can audition in September, Chaves said.

“We have a workshop and the next day is our official tryout,” Chaves said. “So, you can learn (the dance) and decide ‘Oh, I don’t want to do this’ and bail out, or if you decide ‘Yeah, I want to do it,’ you can (audition).”

HYPE Marquette hosts a dance showcase once a semester.

“(The showcase is) an event of true creative expression,” Manglano said. “One of the best parts about it is the audience is just as fun as the dances, (because) we have a really fun audience and everyone is loud and cheering us on.”

HYPE is not only at Marquette, Cokinos explained. The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee has its own branch of HYPE as well.

Along with HYPE UWM, groups like Revamped, SAINTS, Bachelors and Krush will be performing at Friday’s showcase.

“The audience should expect high energy, entertainment and a fun time to destress before finals come,” Cokinos said. “Lots of diverse groups are coming, so it should be fun.”

As co-director, Chaves said she is proud to say that HYPE Marquette is a diverse group on campus, and it has a laid-back culture.

“My favorite part about the show is the last set when we all come together, (and) we’re all super excited,” Chaves said. “It’s about to end, but it’s also a great feeling because it’s also our most exciting set — (we) save the best for last — and I think just seeing everyone’s hard work come together.”

Manglano encouraged all students to consider attending.

“It’s such a fun Friday night activity to do, and we are so excited for everyone to come,” Manglano said.