MU looks to expand film program through new Pabst space

Photo by Helen Dudley
The three-story facility, called No Studios, is located at 1037 W. McKinley Avenue. The space will house local film organizations, companies and university programs such as Marquette’s Diederich College of Communication.

Marquette plans to expand its film and digital media programs through its recently-acquired tenant space at the former Pabst brewing building, which is being redeveloped by Oscar-winning filmmaker John Ridley.

The three-story facility, called No Studios, is located at 1037 W. McKinley Avenue. The space will house local film organizations, companies and university programs such as Marquette’s Diederich College of Communication as well as University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee’s film school.

University spokesperson Chris Jenkins said it is a relatively new initiative, so it will be awhile before details come together.

While the project is still in the planning stages, Diederich College of Communication Dean Kimo Ah Yun said he is excited for the new space. He said students will have the opportunity “to spend time with great creative minds in a central space, place people into the center of the most active space of this type in our community and contribute to the vibrant arts scene in Milwaukee.”

Ridley, a Milwaukee native, is best known for his movie “12 Years a Slave” and TV series “American Crime.” In a news conference, Ridley said his goal is not to bring “Hollywood to the lakefront.”

Abbey Karpick, a sophomore in the College of Communication, said she is most excited about the prospect of working with John Ridley, adding that “any student getting to work in proximity to him would be so incredible.”