MUPD Chief cited for driving intoxicated

Former MUPD Police Chief Paul Mascari resigned from his position. Marquette Wire stock photo.

Marquette University Police Chief Paul Mascari was issued a police citation for operating a vehicle while intoxicated Jan. 17 and has been placed on administrative leave, according to a university statement from spokesperson Brian Dorrington.

The chief was pulled over in a residential area in the village of Marshall Wednesday at approximately 1:27 a.m. after failing to stop at a stop sign, according to a press release from the Marshall Police Department.

Mascari refused to take a breathalyzer test following his arrest, according to the Wisconsin Circuit Court Access records.

After his arrest, Mascari was released to a responsible party, the Marshall PD release said.

Wisconsin’s implied consent law requires drivers to submit to breathalyzer tests if arrested for OWI. Punishments for not complying with the law include possible revocation of driver’s license, installation of ignition interlock devices on driver’s vehicles or a required alcohol assessment.

Mascari was given a notice of intent to revoke his driver’s license Jan. 23, according to CCAP.

Mascari faces one count of failing to stop at a stop sign, one count of refusal to take test for intoxication after arrest and one count of operating while intoxicated (OWI), according to CCAP. He faces possible fines of $937.50 for OWI and $175.30 for failure to stop at a stop sign  – totaling $1,112.80.

The university statement said an internal review will be conducted during Mascari’s leave. There is no set timeline for if and when Mascari will resume his duties, but Capt. Jeff Kranz will take over primary responsibility for overseeing the department.

Kranz is able to draw on significant experience as a police officer, spokesperson Chris Jenkins said in an email.

Kranz previously worked for the Milwaukee Police Department, which included a stint as the leader of MPD’s SWAT team.

“I think it’s important to note that I typically oversee the department’s operations when the chief is out of the office, so this is a familiar role to me and for our officers,” Kranz said in an email. “There’s no formal change in my title and our goals don’t change – as always, we’re here to help keep our neighborhood safe for students, faculty, staff and all the residents of our community.”

Mascari is scheduled to appear in intake court Feb. 2 at 9 a.m.

This story was updated Jan. 26 and is developing.