Alexander Hamilton Society to host former Pentagon official

Photo by Matthew Serafin
The Alexander Hamilton Society will be hosting Michael Rubin, a former Pentagon official, who focuses his research on the Middle East, Turkey, Iran and diplomacy. He teaches regional politics and terrorism to senior military officials.

Marquette’s Alexander Hamilton Society is hosting a Q&A event with resident expert scholar at the American Enterprise Institute and former Pentagon official, Michael Rubin. The event, which will be held Nov. 28 in the Olin Engineering Center in room 170 at 6 p.m., will discuss the recent independence movement in Kurdistan and other complicated issues of the Middle East.

Rubin focuses his research on the Middle East, Turkey, Iran and diplomacy. He teaches regional politics and terrorism to senior military officials.

The Alexander Hamilton Society’s overall mission is to inform students about foreign policy, national security and economic statecraft from a strictly non-partisan angle. To achieve this, they host different events and speakers throughout the semester.

Co-president Justin Oliden, a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences, said the club “provides readings and material for members to look over before a speaker event,” so a background in political science or international affairs is not needed.

“It’s a great way for people to learn and discuss foreign policy,” Claire Guinta, society co-president and a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences, said.

Guinta said she was interested in hearing Rubin’s expertise on the middle east, specifically about the Kurds role in the Syrian Civil war. Like their other nationally recognized speakers, this month’s event will offer a unique opportunity for students involved, but is also a great place for other students to get more involved with the society.

According to the society’s listed principles, they believe “the American political system … profit from vigorous public discussion has proved its worth; and that, at this moment in our history, our public discussion of foreign, economic, and national security policy stands very much in need of renewal.”

The club prides its non-partisanship and finds that many students appreciate the neutral outlet. Thinking back to O-Fest, Oliden said, “We were placed right in between the College Democrats and Republicans, and so many people thought we were another political group on campus.”

However, just recently the club has been re-categorized by student affairs as a special interests club as opposed to a political group. The co-presidents said they think this change might help the group to appeal to more students who are not overtly interested in politics.

Co-president Natalie Bednarek, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences, said she is looking forward to learning about Kurdish people and their recent fight for independence. “It was in the headlines, but many people don’t know what happened or why it happened,” she said.

The co-presidents said everyone is welcome to any of the group’s events, and those interested are encouraged to come back to other events the group will hold in the future.