Festivals offer cure for summer boredom

Photo by Facebook.com/JazzInThePark

Photo by Facebook.com/JazzInThePark

Since the dawn of time, humans have sought out entertainment to cure their ever-impending boredom. There are many festivals and activities this summer in the Milwaukee area that are worth the return trip to Brew City.

From June 2 to September 1, every Thursday Cathedral Square Park will host “Jazz in the Park,” a free outdoor music series featuring jazz, big band, funk, R & B, reggae and blues musicians from all over the country. Happy hour drink specials start at 5 p.m. The music starts at 6 p.m. and keeps on rolling until 9 p.m.

Pride festivals have always been a favorite among summer activities. Since 1987, Milwaukee volunteers have put together festivities to support the LGBTQ community. The fairground will host local and national talent like Big Fredia, GGOOLLDD, Sarah Silverman and Blondie. The colorful weekend will end with the famous Pride Parade. The festival takes place June 10-12 at Henry W. Maier Festival Park. Ticket prices to the festival vary by type, but the parade is free for everyone to attend.

The always anticipated Milwaukee Summerfest is only two months away. The 11 day long music festival features talent from across the spectrum of music. Some of the major headliners for the 2016 lineup are Paul McCartney, Luke Bryan, Weezer, Panic! at the Disco, Selena Gomez, Def Leppard, Bink-182, Joan Jett & the Blackhearts and many more throughout the nearly two-week-long festival. This will take place at the Henry W. Maier Festival Park starting June 29-July 3 with a one day break in between, then continuing July 5-10. Ticket pricing and times will vary by day and performers.

The Lakefront Festival of Art has been a favorite among artists and appreciators alike for over 50 years. From June 17- 19, the Milwaukee Art Museum will host almost 30,000 attendees and 170 artists from across the nation. It is a destination for art, food, music and activities for all ages. Student tickets are $14 at the door but $10 if bought in advance online. A portion of the ticket sales goes to support the Milwaukee Art Museum. The event will be held on the grounds of the museum.

Milwaukee is home to a variety of cultures within and around the city. There are featured festivals for many of these cultures. Scottish Fest/ Milwaukee Highland Games, Polish Fest, Bastille Days, Festa Italiana, German Fest, Irish Fest, India Fest and Mexican Fiesta are all taking place this summer. These food and fun filled events are a great immersive cultural experience and representation of Milwaukee’s population.

For specific times and dates of the events take a look at the calendar below. It gives all the information about each event and more events happening around Milwaukee this year.

http://www.visitmilwaukee.org/major-events-calendar