LAZZARA: Magazines becoming too repetitive

Photo by Photo by Ben Erickson

How to (Insert something you’re too lazy to do anyway):

Every magazine has claimed to hold the torch that will light the path for a better life to readers waiting in the doctor’s office as they flip through the pages of the latest issue. The “life-changing” advice itself isn’t awful: “Drink more smoothies, exercise for at least 20 minutes every day, work on becoming a better ‘you,’” etc. After years of intense magazine-flipping, you come to realize that most of these articles are regurgitating the same advice month after month.

The new-found epiphany for a better life is reborn in so many women and men it makes someone wonder, do they notice it’s all the same? They provide temporary relief from otherwise hectic and stressful lives. If readers actually took the advice and just “act like themselves” around their crush, the entire magazine company would fall into shambles of quizzes and “Who wore it better?” questionnaires.

The need to improve oneself is implanted into so many people as a requirement of life. This is a good thing in theory, but do some actually take the time to analyze what they could be doing better with their lives, attitudes and health? Reading a diet article is one thing, but actually putting it into action and “shedding that winter weight” is another page-turner in itself.

Magazines are a guilty pleasure for so many. Don’t think of yourself as a “basic” person for enjoying them. They’re fun and leave you with something to entertain yourself. Just don’t base your entire life on what new technology Kim Kardashian is “breaking” this week.