Community engagement efforts consolidated into one office

The+university+announced+an+increase+of+%241%2C330+for+tuition+during+the+2017-2018+academic+school+year+Jan.+23.+
The university announced an increase of $1,330 for tuition during the 2017-2018 academic school year Jan. 23.

Photo by Wire Stock Photo

Photo by Wire Stock Photo

Members of the new Office of Community Engagement, which was announced in University President Michael Lovell’s presidential address last week, are starting preparations to officially open the office.

In Lovell’s address, he announced that OCE will consolidate all community engagement efforts on campus and focus on unifying the work between Marquette and its community partners in the greater Milwaukee area.

Daniel Bergen, planning director for OCE, said the university work has been loosely structured across campus.

“Trying to work that into a more centralized location will work out in terms of increasing collaborations,” Bergen said.

Rachel Ewell, a junior in the College of Education and member of National Residence Hall Honorary, said she’s enthusiastic about the prospect of a new collaboration through this office.

“We want to serve not only our community but the greater Milwaukee community, so if we can partner with smaller groups on campus and help them go to a service event that would be awesome for us,” Ewell said.

In addition to improving communication within the university, OCE is interested in helping community partners connect with those who want to get involved as well.

“When you have a center like this, community partners can reach out to Marquette and say ‘We are looking for a student, or a couple of students, who might be interested in this area,’” Bergen said.

The office does not have a brick-and-mortar location, however, the OCE’s work has begun. OCE is currently working to integrate ideas from student organizations, faculty, and community partners. Three separate committees recommended the office: Academic Senate’s Committee on Diversity and Equity, the President’s Task Force and the Task Force on Community Engagement and Responsibility.

One of Bergen’s tasks will be to oversee differing committee perspectives including research, academics, diversity and a community engagement database.

“Service and community engagement have long been part of the bedrock of Marquette’s mission and identity,” said Kelly Walker, the Coordinator of Student Community Service Programs, in an email. “This new office will be able to provide vision for how we continue building in a positive direction.”

While OCE is still in its infancy, Bergen said the opportunity it provides is exciting.

“This is one more manifestation in Lovell’s commitment to connecting to this community,” he said.

Bergen said more information about the location and opening date of OCE will be available later this semester.