Not your grandma’s Christmas playlist

Photo via Facebook.

By Rachel Dimaranan

While we don’t want to admit Christmas songs get old, they do. But only when you hear the same forty songs on repeat—thanks, radio stations. Let us be your part-time DJ with this list of holiday records that have yet to be overplayed on the radio. Spice up your tree-decorating and gift-unwrapping playlist with these ten songs.

She & Him: “The Christmas Waltz”

Let the soothing voice of Zooey Deschanel lull you into the perfect holiday mood. Originally written for Frank Sinatra, this modern adaptation utilizes a ukulele and keyboard to create a uniquely laid back record.

Pentatonix: “That’s Christmas To Me”

In the last few years, the popularity of a cappella music has greatly increased. Off their newly released album, treasure and admire the pure talent of an original holiday song produced entirely with talented voices.

Michael Bublé: “Cold December Night”

Few things can beat Michael Bublé’s hypnotic voice blasting from your speakers, but one thing that does is a Bublé original Christmas hit. Listen to this song and try not to picture a twinkling tree with snowflakes falling on the other side of the window.

Maria Taylor: “Christmas After All”

Tracking snow inside, waiting in long lines, kisses under mistletoe—this song perfectly captures the atmosphere the Christmas season brings. It may not be the traditional holiday sound you are used to hearing, but it certainly deserves a spot on that Christmas party playlist.

Band Aid 30: “Do They Know It’s Christmas?”

Among all the Christmas cheer, it is important to recognize the spirit of giving. Band Aid 30 is the 2014 incarnation of the original Band Aid charity group and includes a large list of top selling musical artists, such as Sam Smith, Rita Ora, and Bastille. This year, Do They Know It’s Christmas was re-recorded to raise awareness about the outbreak of Ebola in Western Africa.

Ella Fitzgerald: “The Secret of Christmas”

Now let’s slow things down  and reflect on exactly why we love the holiday season so much. Gather around with your friends and family and listen to the message Ella Fitzgerald is passing along.

Lord Nelson: “Party for Santa Claus”

Jam out to this Caribbean hit that offers a different perspective on the holiday. Going along with giving, Lord Nelson calls out to people everywhere to turn the tables and take care of Santa this season. Before you know it, you will be grooving along to this song’s rhythm.

Bette Midler: “What Are You Doing New Year’s Eve?”

Holiday spirit does not end come Dec. 26. Keep the good times and great tunes going with Bette Midler’s smooth record. Cozy up to a significant other and plan how you will ring in 2015.

Kurtis Blow: “Christmas Rappin’”

Even Santa likes a good rap every now and then. In case you want something completely different than what the radio plays, listen to this track by Kurtis Blow and be transported to a bumpin’ holiday party.

The Soul Stirrers: “Christmas Means Love”

At the end of the day, our friends and family are what make the holiday season so enjoyable. Snuggle up by the fireplace with your loved ones and this simple song that is rich enough to replace your hot chocolate (but doesn’t necessarily have to!)

Listen to the full playlist here: