Tips for Halloween Decorating

It is that time of year again when the weather begins to cool down, leaves begin to change color and starting off the day with a warm drink is not so much for caffeine as it is for warmth on the commute to class. October is coming to an end, and that means Halloween is creeping closer and closer. Even with the day just a little more than a week away, there is still time to piece together a fun costume and decorate your apartment or dorm. Before any trick or treaters come knocking your way, take a deep breath and follow these tips to help get your space ready for a spooktastic holiday.

Keep it Simple

Don’t know how to operate a hot glue gun, or have absolutely no artistic talent what so ever? No problem, you can still get your room or apartment in shape for the holidays. Not everyone is crafty, and sometimes decorations on Pinterest can be a little overwhelming and a lot harder to make than they seem. If you are not artistically gifted, do not stress yourself out by going over the top trying to recreate complex designs. Too many fake cobwebs or hanging ghouls can be gaudy. Sometimes less is more when it comes to decorating. For example, placing mini pumpkins in a clear vase or jar or perhaps placing orange colored candles with brown placemats on the table are simple, yet sophisticated way to celebrate fall. 

Get Creative

Halloween is the only time of the year when you can display somewhat graphic and spooky decorations outside your home and not look like a psychopath, so have fun with it. Recreate scenes from your favorite horror movies, like writing  “red rum” on your door from “The Shining,” or drawing the Devil’s Trap on your floor as seen in “Supernatural.” Or carve your favorite celebrities or characters on pumpkins. If you need inspiration sites like Pinterest and Tumblr will have many ideas and step-by-step instructions to help you out. Think outside the box, and don’t be afraid to try out different ideas in your head. They may not turn out the way you imagine them, but that is part of the joy of decorating.

Don’t Buy Decorations

Between paying tuition, rent and groceries the last thing you want to do is spend money decorating your living space. Do not waste your money on store bought decorations when you can get and make them for free. Take old decorations from home or relatives that they do not want to use anymore. You can also use various objects around the house such as the empty toilet paper rolls, tin cans or Mason jars. It may appear that in order to have a festive look it takes money, but it does not have to.