Milwaukee Valentine’s Day destinations

Photo via cafebenelux.com

Milwaukee may not be categorized as the most romantic city in the world, but it definitely has its fair share of destinations for Valentine’s Day. Whether you’re checking out the city’s incredibly underrated food scene or experimenting with fine art, Marquee compiled the must-see locales for a distinctly Milwaukee Valentine’s Day.

For Couples:

Buckley’s Restaurant and Bar 

The intimate Buckley’s Restaurant and Bar continues to live up to its motto “Great Food. Great People.” Located at 801 N. Case St., Buckley’s is in the perfect neighborhood to go on an after-dinner stroll with your significant other. The menu is unique and dynamic with many entrees made from scratch. Luckily for whoever is paying for the meal, Valentine’s Day falls on a Friday this year, which means Buckley’s fresh, beer battered Haddock fish fry is only $15, which is perfectly acceptable for a  limited college budget. So go on and impress that lucky guy or gal in your life with a night at Buckley’s full of appetizing food, classy decor and friendly service. Food is served from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Valentine’s Day, and the bar is open from 10 a.m. to 2 a.m.

Timothy J. Kitchen and Bath Showroom

If you’re looking for a date night with a variety of gourmet food and drinks, check out Timothy J. Kitchen and Bath Showroom’s 2nd annual Valentine’s Day Show Feb. 14, from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. Local Milwaukee chefs and restaurants will showcase appetizers, cooking demos and gourmet desserts for everyone. The featured participants include Chef Deborah Sprigg-Ross, Roz Thurner of R Café and Catering, The Cheesecake Store and Owen McGonegle of Take Home Owen. On top of the delicious food, there will also be all-you-can-drink beer and a wine tasting. Although tickets are $40 per person, a percentage of the proceeds will go toward the Cathedral Center, an organization focused on supporting Milwaukee women and their families. Plus, each couple will be sent home with a complementary bottle of champagne to enjoy. Timothy J. Kitchen and Bath Showroom is located in the Third Ward at 225 S. 2nd St.

Café Benelux

If you and your significant other have conflicting schedules and can’t make plans over Valentine’s Day, Café Benelux has you covered. The restaurant will celebrate Valentine’s Day the entire weekend with food and drink specials Friday through Sunday. Although the Valentine’s menu will last all weekend, the first 100 couples in the restaurant Friday will receive a complementary rose and one free Lowlands Winter Triple drink. Café Benelux has a laid back atmosphere that makes any couple comfortable at any time of day, whether you’re meeting for a cup of coffee or for one of their famous “beermosas.” Located in Milwaukee’s historic Third Ward at 346 N. Broadway, Café Benelux might just be the simple Valentine’s Day setting you and your significant other needs.

For Singles:

Miller Time Pub and Grill

Having a broken heart during Valentine’s Day can certainly put a damper on the holiday. Luckily, Miller Time Pub and Grill will host the perfect pick-me-up for this Friday: their annual Love Bites celebration. The event will have multiple drink and food specials, like $2 off any drink that isn’t red, $4 “Bites” of your favorite comfort food (nachos, cheese curds, etc.) and a $2 Hook-Up Shot List which, according to the restaurant, “may give you some encouragement at the bottom of the glass.” In addition, the restaurant will encourage singles to bring something that reminds them of an ex to “burn” and to be entered in raffle for a recovery package with a $100 gift card to WELL Spa + Salon in Milwaukee. With all of the great perks, Miller Time will make you stop feeling sorry for yourself so you can enjoy being single.

Casablanca

Any outgoing singles or group of friends looking to have an exciting Valentine’s Day should venture out to Milwaukee’s best Middle Eastern restaurant, Casablanca. It prides itself on being one of the few restaurants in Milwaukee with a large selection of satisfying Middle Eastern cuisine. From delicious lamb to an array of pastries, it’s a fun place to order food you may have never tried before and share a unique experience with friends. For Valentine’s Day, Casablanca will have dessert and champagne specials as well as a live DJ all night. Belly-dancers will perform between 8:30 and 10:30 p.m., encouraging diners to get up and show their moves. All ladies who stop in will also get free roses as a special Valentine’s Day treat.

The Mason Jar

No feeling can compare to getting up on stage, grabbing a microphone and embarrassing yourself while you attempt to sing “I Will Always Love You” by Whitney Houston. That’s why you and your single friends should head to The Mason Jar on James Lovell Street for a karaoke-filled Valentine’s Day. This Marquette student favorite has five beers on tap and is known for its candy-infused vodka shots, which should provide more than enough liquid encouragement for any bold single looking to get on stage. On top of the variety of drinks, it also offers more than 250,000 songs to choose for karaoke, so it’s nearly impossible not to find the perfect hit to sing. And who knows? You might just sing your way into someone’s heart.

For Everyone:

Arte Wine and Painting Studio

If you’re looking for a change from the usual bar scene on Valentine’s Day, Arte Wine and Painting Studio is a great activity for a group of friends, singles or couples. At Arte Wine and Painting Studio, you spend the night drinking wine, snacking on chocolates and painting a masterpiece. There are three options you can choose to participate in. You can register for a class with friends where you get step-by-step instructions and participate in a “public painting party.” More experienced artists, who may not need instructors, can reserve a table at the paint bar to create an original masterpiece. If painting just isn’t for you, there’s also a full bar that features art-inspired craft cocktails. However, the studio assures insecure customers that there is no artistic ability needed to participate. The sentiment is best captured in its motto: “drink until it looks good.”

The Pettit National Ice Center

Although many of the outdoor ice rinks have closed for the season, indoor arenas still host open skating for the public. The Pettit National Ice Center will have public skating on Valentine’s Day from 7 to 9 p.m. on their two Olympic-sized ice arenas. For $7.50, skaters can use this Olympic training site to show off their talents or skate for the first time. With fun background music and hot chocolate, this classic winter sport will make a memorable Valentine’s Day for a group of single friends or your special someone.