Marquette’s latest addition Luke Fischer meets the media

Photo by Getty Images

Photo by Getty Images

Photo by Getty Images

Freshman center Luke Fischer was introduced as the newest member of the Marquette men’s basketball team Tuesday after transferring from Indiana University.

Fischer averaged 2.8 points and 2.1 rebounds in 13 games this season with the Hoosiers, led by former Marquette coach Tom Crean. Fischer will be eligible to play for the Golden Eagles starting Dec. 14.

The Germantown, Wis., native believes the move to Marquette will benefit his playing career and personal life.

“It’s a great fit here,” Fischer said. “Close to home, and the future’s really bright, so I’m looking forward to it.”

Named Wisconsin’s Mr. Basketball of 2013 after leading Germantown High School to a state championship, Fischer averaged 21.3 points and 9.5 rebounds per game his senior year.

The 6-foot-11 center will bring needed size to a team that will lose three forwards  — Chris Otule, Davante Gardner and Jamil Wilson — after this season. Fischer accepted the challenge and is already incorporated into practice.

“It’s a lot faster game at the next level, but after losing Chris and Davante next year, I think those 13 games I did play will actually help a lot,” he said.

Assistant coach Jerry Wainwright will work individually with Fischer throughout the winter and in the offseason. He sees Fischer as a skilled passer and solid mid-range shooter who will split time at both the power forward and center positions.

“He’s long-armed, he’s angular, he’s just coming into his body,” Wainwright said. “He has a great feel with both hands. He’s got a great structure for play. Somebody’s taught him the mechanics of shooting, and he’s really got a feel for passing. As long as he’s at Marquette, people will remember him for his passes more than his points. He can really pass the basketball.”

Fischer said he felt welcomed and involved with the team in his short time on campus. He was in contact with coach Buzz Williams almost immediately after he tweeted his decision to transfer Jan. 5.

“From the first day I was here, it was open arms,” Fischer said. “It’s like I’ve been here for the whole semester already, it’s that open. It’s really nice.”

Fischer’s decision to leave Indiana was a gradual process. Moving through the semester, he realized the program was not for him.

“It wasn’t (a problem) at first, obviously, because I felt like it was going to be a good fit for me when I committed,” he said. “Going throughout the year, I started questioning everything.”

Fischer also considered Wisconsin-Milwaukee and Creighton, schools that recruited him in high school. He cited Marquette’s academic standing and the thrill of Big East competition as his primary factors. He said out of respect for Crean and the Hoosiers he would not transfer to another Big Ten school.

Playing for his hometown crowd will bring Fischer a sense of comfort, but there could be higher expectations for an audience that already knows what he is capable of doing on the court.

“There’s always going to be pressure, and I don’t think it’s going to be any different, really,” Fischer said.

Wainwright sees a high ceiling for Fischer during his time at Marquette. There will be plenty of room for improvement over several areas, but his potential astounds the coaching staff.

“You couldn’t ask for more as a coach or as a program,” Wainwright said. “He’s got a great smile, got a great handshake, looks you in the eye. If he works like he did (in practice) for the remainder of his career, not to put pressure on him, but he can be anything he wants to be.”