Milwaukee spring 2014 entertainment preview

Illustration by Caroline Devane / caroline.Devane@marquette.edu

From “Catching Fire” taking over movie screens to Miley Cyrus taking over tabloids, 2013 is officially behind us, along with its assorted albums, movies and concerts. While it was a memorable year in the entertainment industry — for better or worse — students can look forward to more exciting local and national pop culture events in 2014. Here are Marquee’s picks for the most-anticipated performances and new releases of the semester.

Concerts

Miley Cyrus

The hottest concerts call for the hottest stars, and few are hotter than Miley Cyrus. After dominating 2013 with her foam finger, crazy music videos and incessant public twerking, the global superstar will embark on her 2014 Bangerz tour with a stop at the BMO Harris Bradley Center March 9. Icona Pop and Sky Ferreira will accompany Miley, along with her chart-topping hits “Wrecking Ball” and “We Can’t Stop.” The Miley Cyrus concert is one you won’t want to miss.

Krewella

One of the hottest groups in electronic dance music and America’s favorite partiers will come to The Rave March 1. Krewella returns to Milwaukee with the latest music from their album “Get Wet,” released last September. The show will include some of the group’s newest songs and its obvious top hits “Alive” and “Live for the Night.” Accompanied by Pegboard Nerds, thousands of lights and high energy, Krewella will be the concert that blows your mind this spring.

Huey Mack

After starting his career in 2010 by making mixtapes and remixes to popular songs like “Call Me Maybe,” indie rapper Huey Mack went from YouTube sensation to one of the most popular unsigned rappers. Mack makes a stop at the The Rave Feb. 13 for his Pretending Perfection tour. He will be performing songs from his latest album, “Pretending Perfection,” and songs from his 2012 album, “A Boy Named Huey.”

Theater

Tyler Perry’s Hell Hath No Fury Like a Woman Scorned

Anita’s life seems to be heading into a positive direction after paying for her little sister’s wedding. Then, pressured by her friends, Anita re-enters the dating game and tries to find love online. The person who she believes to be the man of her dreams suddenly turns into the man of her nightmares as this one-of-a-kind comedy unfolds. Written, directed and produced by Tyler Perry, “Tyler Perry’s Hell Hath No Fury Like a Woman Scorned” comes to the Milwaukee Theatre for only one night, April 6.

Hamlet

Marquette’s Mainstage Theatre will take on one of the most iconic tragedies of all time. William Shakespeare’s  famous tragedy “Hamlet” will be performed at the Helfaer Theatre from April 3 to April 15, as the conclusion of Marquette University’s Mainstage Season. Directed by Maureen Kilmurry, “Hamlet” will be performed by Marquette thespians who will share a must-see story of revenge, madness and death.

Bring It On

The national “Bring It On” musical tour arrives to Milwaukee for one night only, April 24 at the Milwaukee Theatre. “Bring It On” brings the audience into the world of cheerleading as two schools battle through romance, high school and each other to win the National Cheerleading Championships. This bold comedy is accommodated with an all-star team of Tony Award winning writers, composers and director Andy Blankenbuehler. Based on the 2000 hit movie, “Bring It On” the musical is proving to be a hit with theater and cheer enthusiasts alike.

Music Albums

The Outsiders by Eric Church

Singer songwriter and country star sensation Eric Church will release his newest album “The Outsiders” Feb. 11. Eric Church’s fourth studio album released its single, also titled “The Outsider,” in October. Then on Jan. 4, Eric Church surprised fans by releasing another song from the album to country radio called “Give Me Back My Hometown.”  With past hits like “Springsteen” and “Love Your Love The Most,” the American Country Music award winning Eric Church is expected to produce more top hits from “The Outsiders.”

High Hopes by Bruce Springsteen

The Boss is back, releasing his 18th album “High Hopes” Jan. 14. The album will be a first for Springsteen as all of the songs are either cover songs, newly recorded outtakes from past albums or newly recorded songs from previously released albums. His song “High Hopes,” for instance, was originally released on his Blood Brothers album in 1995. This new album is truly a gift for Springsteen fans, leaving them hoping for a global tour in the near future.

Aer by Aer

The indie rock duo, Aer, will release its self-titled album Jan. 22. After releasing mixtapes in 2010 and 2011, David von Mering and Carter Schultz went on to release their first album, “The Bright Side,” in 2012. Now the boys are back with “Aer,” which will include 12 new songs, including “Spades, Clubs & Diamonds,” which was already released on iTunes.

Movies

Noah

The biblical Noah, who has visions of a great flood and a destroyed apocalyptic world, takes great measures to protect his family from the tragedies ahead. Director Darren Aronofsky, director of the “Black Swan,” will take audiences on the dramatic journey of Noah’s ark March 28. Noah consists of an all-star cast, including Russell Crowe (Noah), Jennifer Connelly (Naameh) and Emma Watson (Ila). This movie of adventure and ambition will be sure to bring the biblical story of Noah’s Ark to life.

300: Rise of an Empire

The Greek general Themistokles will fight a war against an invading Persian army under the god Xerxes in the new sequel “300: Rise of an Empire” March 7. With some returning actors, such as Rodrigo Santoro, from “300” in 2006, “300: Rise of an Empire” looks to be just as gory, violent and epic as the first.

The Monument Men

An unlikely World War II platoon will be in charge of rescuing stolen art masterpieces from Nazi thieves and return them to there rightful owners in theaters Feb. 7. Director George Clooney, who also acts in the movie, brings together an all-star class of Matt Damon, Bill Murray and John Goodman. Based on a true story, this World War II movie will be an action-packed must-see.