Trebby: Friends shaped my Marquette experience

Matt Trebby
Matt Trebby

As my college experience comes to an end, I can’t help but feel like I did a lot wrong at Marquette.

People usually think of the positive times right about now, but I can’t help but realize there is so much I would have done differently.

With all the success and ambition of those I have worked with at Marquette, I’ve done a lot of thinking about what I am going to do. I’ve been fortunate to receive compliments from people about how I have a great future ahead of me. I appreciate those kind words, but it would be a bit reassuring to know where on God’s green earth I am going to be in three or four months.

Because of my uncertain future, I have been doing a lot of reflection lately. I’m excited for school to end and to get going with a real job, but did I do enough to prepare myself for success? When I was supposed to be studying or preparing for work, did I put myself in a position to do the best I can? Not all the time, unfortunately. Did I consistently pay enough attention to detail to do the best job I could? I did not.

My biggest regret is that I let people down. There were some who were very close to me and who had a lot of faith in me. At times, when I needed to be at my best, I was subpar.

Still, I would like to think I’ve done a lot of good at Marquette. While I’m never going to win any scholarships for my work in the classroom, I would like to think I have still left my mark on this school, especially in Johnston Hall.

I’ve been fortunate to meet some incredible people through Marquette. I have friends who are from all over the world. Being from nearby Waukesha, I have no idea how some ended up here, but I am grateful that they did.

What I will remember most, above all these regrets I may have, are the people I can now call friends.

To anyone who stuck with me on Twitter, listened to any of my broadcasts or read anything I have written: thank you. All of you who have made me laugh or smile or who have let me brighten your day a little bit: thank you. To everyone I am lucky enough to call a friend: thank you.

I’ve known I would go to Marquette since I was 7 years old. While there is a lot I would change about my time here, it has all molded me into the young man I am today, and I’d like to think I’m all right for the most part.

I wouldn’t be the person I am today without every single experience and every single memory I have of this school. I’ll forever love Marquette. Thank you to everyone who made my experience here as amazing and enjoyable as it was.