Juan Anderson granted his release, will transfer

Photo by Vale Cardenas/ valeria.cardenas@mu.edu
Photo by Vale Cardenas/ [email protected]

After an up-and-down two-year career at Marquette, 6-foot-6 forward Juan Anderson was granted his release Monday afternoon and will transfer for the 2013-14 season.

“We are incredibly grateful for all that Juan has done here on and off the floor during his tenure,” coach Buzz Williams announced. “Because of family reasons, he feels like it is important to get back closer to home in order to help support his family. We wish him all the best, and will cheer for him from Milwaukee.”

Anderson, who averaged 2.7 points in 35 games in 2012-13, made 31 starts in his Marquette career. According to a press release, Anderson is hoping to transfer closer to his hometown of Oakland, Calif.

“I really enjoyed my time here and learned a lot that will be beneficial to my life after basketball,” Anderson said. “My family is very important to me, and moving closer to them is something I need to do at this time.”

Anderson’s defection marks the third transfer announcement of the spring for the Golden Eagles, who reached the Elite Eight this year. Guards Jake Thomas and Jamal Ferguson were also granted their releases over the past two weeks.

Marquette now has 12 players on scholarship for 2013, one under the 13-scholarship NCAA limit.

• A

Anonymous EagleApr 15, 2013 at 6:03 pm

I am disgusted that this was posted on Facebook as “breaking news” before anything was posted about the tragedy in Boston. Get your priorities straight, Tribune! National incidents are way more important than losing some basketball player no one will think twice about in another couple of days. I am thoroughly disgusted and disappointed with your “reporting”.