MUSG talks new administrative officials and diversity roundtables

At last Thursday’s Marquette Student Government meeting, President Joey Ciccone and Executive Vice President Trent Carlson announced they were discussing some of the university’s recent hires with administration.

Both Ciccone and Carlson met with Vice President for Student Affairs Chris Miller to talk about the new role of Executive Vice President Mary DiStanislao, and Carlson met with Vice President and Director of Athletics Larry Williams to talk learn what he seeks in his new role.

MUSG is also furthering its commitment to diversity through roundtables on Feb. 16, Feb. 27, March 8 and March 27 in the Multicultural Center at 12:30 p.m. The roundtables will be led by Senator Sterling Hardaway, a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences, and Senator Jilly Gokalgandhi, a junior in the College of Arts & Sciences.

Senator Sarah Miller, a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences, was approved to serve on the MUSG budget committee in a 25-0-0 vote. Senator Sam Schultz, a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences, also presented a recommendation for the university to move towards a universal clicker, rather than two different types. Schultz cited cost and actual use of two different clickers rather than one as arguments for his recommendation. MUSG supported the recommendation unanimously.

Program Board Vice President Derek Merten, a senior in the College of Business Administration, announced that Night of Chocolate tickets are on sale as of Monday. The event will be held Feb. 18 from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. in the Alumni Memorial Union Ballrooms. Semiformal attire is suggested. As a way to spread the word for the event, MUSG will hand out candy bars to students, a few of which will have “golden tickets” inside which grant free admission to the event.

Merten also announced that Program Board applications are due Friday.

MUSG Advisor Kate Trevey said the Office of Student Development is accepting applications for student employees for the 2012-13 school year. Applications are online and are due Feb. 24.