MUSG passes resolution against proposed financial aid cuts

Marquette Student Government approved a budget revision and a new resolution regarding recent cuts in federal financial aid at its meeting last Thursday.

The budget revision was developed in response to an unexpected surplus of $14,000 in student activity fee revenue. Financial Vice President John Dunlap, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences, said this money is the result of an influx of students enrolled at the university this year.

Proposals to use this money include allocating $5,000 to specific events such as the Spring Concert, $5,200 to special events, such as buying chocolate fountains for the “Night of Chocolate” and $1,800 to student organization funding for non-club sports.

MUSG also approved $2,000 to fund the purchase of a license with Collegiate Link, a program that allows student organizations to submit paperwork and organize events online.

Off-campus senator Katie Simoncic, a senior in the College of Communication, thinks the new allocations will benefit the university.

“All of this money is going back to the students on this campus and will help them,” Simoncic said.

The Senate also passed Resolution 3, which encourages universities to develop a petition in support of Federal Student Aid to be sent to Congress and encourages students to sign one issued by the Student Aid Alliance.

In support of the petition, off-campus senator Kathleen Ford, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences, highlighted the reality that $30 billion has thus far been cut from financial aid programs. Ford wants to ensure that number will not increase.

Off-campus senator Bill Neidhardt, a junior in the College of Arts & Sciences, worked on this resolution and said much of the research was inspired by Fordham University’s petition.

Neidhardt also expressed the importance of the student’s voice in this issue.

“We want to ensure that students who want to have the Marquette experience can be part of the tradition,” he said.

Following the resolution, MUSG President Joey Ciccone, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences, said he is in discussion with the Office of Public Affairs in addressing the issue of allowing students to use their MUID to vote in national elections. Rulings on this issue are still developing, he said.

MUSG Notes

MUSG Vice President Trent Carlson met with the Department of Public Safety to address how the Milwaukee Police Department will communicate the illegality of jaywalking to students. Carlson is a senior in the College of Business Administration.

Programs Vice President Derek Merten, a senior in the College of Business Administration, said MU Cash Cab was extremely successful and that plans to bring the event back next semester are developing.

Off-campus senator Stephanie Marecki, a junior in the College of Arts & Sciences, said she plans to meet with Annette D’Amato, coordinator for student employment, to discuss the efficiency of JobConnection. Plans to improve the system are still being discussed.

Arts & Sciences senator Sterling Hardaway, a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences, said the Student Organizations committee approved a new club, Student Media Interactive, which maintains all of Student Media’s websites.