MUSG passes resolution aiming for housing improvements

Last Thursday, Marquette University Student Government passed a resolution designed to mediate overpopulation issues in both residence halls and off-campus housing.

The resolution passed 26-0, with one abstention and seeks to plan sufficient procedures through the Office of Residence Life to ensure all students are provided with permanent and acceptable housing options at Marquette.

Senator Justin Alexander, a freshman in the College of Arts & Sciences, acknowledged the significant increase in freshman class size.

“Everyone on campus can see the effect of a bigger freshman class,” Alexander said. “We need to make sure that every single student has adequate housing, whether they live in a residence hall or off-campus.”

The resolution is based on the premise that admissions expects the number of enrolled students to steadily increase in the future. Therefore, it is necessary to change enrollment regulations and produce a target number for accepted students in order to meet housing requirements, according to an MUSG press release.

President Joey Ciccone, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences, met with Kathy Lang, the university chief information officer regarding the data service outage that occurred Oct. 31. Ciccone said the heating, ventilating and air conditioning system failed, causing all e-resources (CheckMarq, D2L, etc.) to crash.

Lang said her department has developed several changes within the system to ensure the outage will not happen again. Adaptations include generating more tests to monitor the system and automatically setting up alerts, according to Ciccone.

Vice President Trent Carlson, a senior in the College of Business Administration, said the Dining Advisory Board discussed promotional events last week. He said the committee is working on the “Helping Hands” initiative within residence halls to collect food for donation for Thanksgiving and Christmas meals within the coming weeks.

SIDEBAR STARTS HERE

Senator Allison Kruschke, a sophomore in the College of Communication (Kruschke is also a reporter for the Tribune), said her committee is looking into maintaining usage for Norris Park during the winter months. Plans are still in discussion for a proper winterization procedure.

The academics committee is looking into discrepancies pertaining to theology and corporate communication classes relating to majors. Meetings with advisors and plans concerning the issue are still developing, according to an MUSG press release.

Senator Sterling Hardaway, a sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences, met with Annette Conrad, director of events management. Conrad encouraged students to fill out feedback forms so events management could gauge where areas of improvement are necessary, according to an MUSG press release.

Hardaway also said Conrad suggested students use the student handbook to clarify questions concerning the events process.

On behalf of the student organizations committee, Hardaway said a new club – Grand Strategy – was approved. The club aims to inform students on security approaches, student safety tactics and role-playing.