Former and current Golden Eagles ‘GoGeddit’ with new deal site

Move over Groupon.com. There’s a new online coupon provider in town — and this one is run by former and current Marquette students looking to localize and improve the money-saving experience.

Richie Burke, a 2011 graduate of the College of Business Administration, launched new online deal website GoGeddit.com in mid-September. The site was the manifestation of an idea he has been working on since graduation.

“Our goal has been to create a better (coupon) alternative for both consumers and businesses alike,” Burke said. “Right now, we’re a lean organization, we have a ton of flexibility and we feel we can offer consumers the best packages.”

Burke said his business, which has grown to nearly 3,000 subscribers since inception, is distinguished from other deal sites because of its commitment to work with businesses as well as consumers.

“We offer businesses that work with us better retailer margins and take the time to sit down with the people we work with and build good relationships,” he said. “We will also look to work with these businesses repeatedly in the future.”

Currently, Burke splits his time between Madison, where he grew up, and Milwaukee, the two cities where the site offers deals. In Milwaukee, current hot deals include $10 off at National Liquor Mart on a purchase of $25 and $4 off at The Broken Yolk on a purchase of $11.

Burke said while college students are not necessarily the most likely to use coupon sites, he and his staff can relate to the college experience and offer deals that will entice Marquette students to frequent the site.

One upcoming collegiate deal to look out for will be a pitcher at Murphy’s Irish Pub and a Papa John’s Pizza for $10, Burke said.

The trending world of internet start-up businesses is never easy to break into, but GoGeddit.com has steadily grown and now employs three people, Burke said. The site has added Jeremy Bemis as the Milwaukee sales manager and Crystal Schreiner, a senior in the College of Communication, as the creative director. Bemis graduated last December from the College of Business Administration.

Of the nearly 3,000 subscribers, Burke said Milwaukee subscribers outnumber those in Madison by a two-to-one ratio.

Since Bemis officially came on board GoGeddit.com in July, he said he has been encouraged by both the company’s growth as well as the response from local businesses.

“Everyone we’ve talked to has been very excited about the site,” he said. “So far students have jumped all over the current deals, and I see great things if we keep our nose to the grindstone and keep signing on businesses.”

Paul Lambert, a senior in the College of Communication, said he especially likes the deal at National Liquor Mart.

“That’s great for me,” he said. “I’m really tight on money right now so when I get beer for the weekend, I can save a little money.”