MUSG diversity and social media initiatives move forward

Marquette University Student Government President Joey Ciccone announced last Thursday in an MUSG meeting that he met with University President the Rev. Scott Pilarz’s chief of staff, Thomas MacKinnon, and discussed the prospect of student participation in the search for a new Marquette athletic director.

Ciccone also mentioned the new diversity initiative involving roundtable discussions, which seek to welcome students whose opinions seem underrepresented on campus. The discussions will take place in the Multicultural Center of the Alumni Memorial Union on Oct. 25, Nov. 14 and Dec. 4.

Arica Van Boxtel, MUSG communications vice president, said the organization is undergoing a “social media initiative.” She encouraged students to utilize Twitter in welcoming and initiating conversation with Pilarz.

Students and faculty interested in this initiative should use #MUPrez on Twitter, Van Boxtel said.

MUSG vice president Trent Carlson also communicated the importance of students reaching out to Fr. Pilarz through the student forum on Oct. 24 at 7:30 p.m. in the Alumni Memorial Union.

“We want to ask him questions we see relevant to the university,” Carlson said.

MUSG encouraged all students to attend this forum in an effort to voice their concerns and interests.

Senator Allison Krushcke, a sophomore in the College of Communication, said that on Tuesday, MUSG’s Business and Administration committee met with Erin Lazzar of the Office of Student Development in regards to possibly changing Marquette’s alcohol amnesty policy. (Eds. note: Krushcke is also a reporter for the Tribune.)

However, conversations are still developing, she said.

Krushcke also stressed the importance of working with the university to eliminate regular malfunctions with PrintWise. She said a solution for PrintWise issues needs to be found, both in the university buildings and residence halls.

SIDEBAR HERE

Sterling Hardaway, a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences, said two new student organizations were approved–The Water Council and The U.S. Building Council. The Water Council is aimed toward conservation and the U.S. Building Council will involve students who hope to develop and promote the importance of available green space on campus.

Hardaway also announced that the United Nations Student Alliance is running a food drive for the Milwaukee Rescue Mission. Non-perishable items will be collected through Oct. 30.

Senator Derek Murten, programs vice president, said due to lack of interest, the Void lip sync competition is cancelled.