Special Education Certification program sought by MUSG

Thursday’s Marquette Student Government meeting outlined many upcoming campus events, but also recommended administrators consider adding a Special Education Certification program to the College of Education.

The MUSG Senate unanimously passed an amendment which recommends administrators look into the possibility of offering Special Education Certification. Co-author of the bill Nicole Thompson, a senior in the College of Education, said there is a huge need in Milwaukee for teachers qualified to teach special education. However, ways of funding the program have yet to be determined.

“This will not be happening overnight,” Thompson said. “We would just like to push for administrators to take a stronger look and see there is a need (for this type of program).”

Thompson said several faculty members and students she had corresponded with were all in favor of adding this option.

The meeting also covered upcoming programs in the coming weeks and months, as announced by Carly Nusser, Programs Vice President for the 2010-’11 school year and senior in the College of Communication.

The first upcoming event is “The Perfect Pair Game Show,” a free event to be held this Saturday, Feb. 19, at 11 p.m. in the Weasler Auditorium. Duos will compete to entertain the crowd in a trivia, dancing and acting competition, and the winning team will be awarded $200.

On Monday, Feb. 21 CNN’s Chief Business Correspondent Ali Velshi will speak at 7:30 p.m. in the Weasler. Velshi is the anchor of CNN’s program “Newsroom.”

On Feb. 22, during the university’s “Love Your Body Week,” Project Runway eighth season runner-up Mondo Guerra will emcee a fashion show held in the Alumni Memorial Union ballrooms. Following the show, Guerra will speak on issues of diversity, body images and gay rights, Nusser said. The event is currently accepting applications for models.

Nusser also announced the trip to attend a Second City comedy show in Chicago has been rescheduled to April 1. It was originally scheduled for Nov. 5. She said April Fools Day is probably the best day to attend a comedy show.

On April 10, there will be an MUSG-sponsored tailgate for the Brewers/Cubs game at Miller Park.

Finally, Nusser said the MUSG spring concert will be held April 8, although the performer has yet to be announced.

MUSG adviser Jon Dooley reminded senators to spread the word that applications to run for MUSG positions are currently available. Some positions are left open because no one applies, he said.

In other news items, MUSG elected Arica VanBoxtel, a sophomore in the College of Communication, as its next Communications Vice President. VanBoxtel was elected unanimously and will succeed Ashley Christophersen, a senior in the College of Communication, in the role for the 2011-’12 academic year.