MUSG announces the Walkmen to play April concert

During the first Marquette Student Government meeting of the new semester, the MUSG Senate announced this year’s spring concert will be played by the Walkmen on April 9.

The Walkmen are an indie rock band out of New York who have released six studio albums and whose most popular songs include “The Rat” and “Angela Surf City,” according to their Myspace page. Their sound has been compared to The Cure and The Strokes by pitchfork.com.

Sponsored by Marquette Radio, the Walkmen concert will take place at the Union Sports Annex courts and is open to all students.

Along with the Walkmen, MUSG also allocated funds to the InterFraternity Council to put on a concert featuring Machine Gun Kelly, named after an early 20th century gangster, and XV, a hip-hop artist who has featured the likes of Wiz Khalifa in his songs. This concert is scheduled for April 16 in a location to be announced.

The two groups were allocated $6,000 and $5,625, respectively.

Joey Ciccone, a junior in the College of Arts & Sciences and executive vice president of MUSG, said last semester that the allocations committee is looking to fund more on-campus programming as opposed to off-campus events, and that this latest period “is a step in the right direction.”

Overall, MUSG allocated $22,410.90 to 10 different student organizations for events occurring between Jan. 31 and May 7. Among the allocations greater than $2,500 (which must be voted on by the Senate), the feminist advocacy group Empowerment received $5,000 to host four speakers on the topics of feminism, gender issues, race and sexual orientation.

The Senate also allocated $2,800 to the Alpha Chi Omega sorority to host speaker Mark Dawson on Feb. 9. Dawson, an experienced speaker and entertainer, will discuss a topic of his expertise, building healthy relationships.

Also of note, Derek Merton, a junior in the College of Business Administration, was elected as new programs vice president. Merton will be in charge of coordinating and advertising events for MUSG.

Merton, an accounting and marketing major, will officially begin his term today, replacing Carly Nusser on the university’s executive board. Nusser is a senior in the College of Communication.

Formerly the program board special events commissioner, Merton was elected unanimously.

Curtis Taylor, a sophomore in the College of Business Administration, described Merton as having “high energy” to bring to the position.

Taylor said he looks forward to seeing Merton “carry on what Carly has already started.”

Merton has been involved in recent programming such as the Fresh Farmers Market that took place outside of Straz Tower last semester, he said.

MUSG President Meghan Ladwig also endorsed Merton.

“We were very impressed with Derek’s enthusiasm in the interview as well as in the office throughout the semester,” she said. “We are sure he will be an asset to the organization in the upcoming year.”