DPS Reports 1/25/11

Jan. 21

At 10:24 p.m., Department of Public Safety officers saw two Milwaukee Police Department squad cars had been struck in the westbound lane of the 2000 block of West Wells Street. In a chain reaction accident, an individual in a vehicle hit the first vehicle, which then struck a second MPD squad car and caused substantial damage to both vehicles. DPS assisted in locating the alleged offending vehicle, as the vehicle found matched near the intersection of North 24th Street and West Wells Street.

As officers tried to gather information, the driver of the vehicle drove at a standing DPS officer, striking his left hand. A mirror was struck off one of the cars. Officers got into their cars and contacted MPD, who then followed the subject to the area of 12th Street and Cherry Street. The individual was cited by MPD for operating a vehicle while intoxicated and causing damage to state property. The individual was highly intoxicated and possessed no identification at the time of arrest.

Jan. 22

At 2:49 p.m., officers were sent to Johnston Hall for a possible suspicious subject, a female standing on the first floor in the Northeast hallway of the building. The subject reported looking for the visitor information center. She refused to answer additional personal questions and stated she had no identification. She had been dealt with in the past. MPD responded and issued a municipal citation for prior trespassing.

Jan. 23

At 4:54 p.m., DPS officers were dispatched to Helfaer Theatre for a theft report. Upon arrival, three individuals stated that on Jan. 15, at 2:30 p.m., a projector was in the projection room on the third floor. Another individual thought the projector was secured in the box. On Jan. 23, they noticed the projector was missing, having gone missing during that established time period. The estimated loss of the projector is $8,000.