Ongoing obscenity investigation

Authorities have released no new details about an ongoing investigation of “inappropriate material” reportedly found on a Marquette engineering professor’s university-owned computer. Someone allegedly found child pornography on the computer, WISN 12 News reported Thursday.

“The Milwaukee Police Department is conducting an investigation of inappropriate material on a computer that was voluntarily turned over to us by Marquette University,” police spokesperson Anne E. Schwartz said in an e-mail. “We are currently evaluating the contents to determine if a crime was committed.”

The Tribune is not naming the professor because there have been no charges filed or arrests made while investigators examine the computer.

The university is cooperating with the investigation, according to an e-mail from Tim Olsen, communication manager in Marquette’s Office of Marketing and Communication.

“Because this is both a personnel matter and an ongoing investigation, we cannot comment further on the matter,” Olsen said in the e-mail.

Olsen’s sentiments were echoed yesterday by Robert Bishop, Opus dean of the College of Engineering.

Bishop said in an e-mail that the college “has cooperated fully with both the university and (MPD) in its investigation.”

Kevin Craig, a professor in the College of Engineering, said the dean sent an e-mail to all engineering faculty, advising them to wait to hear of the full circumstances and details of the allegations.

Jeff Engel and Matt Campbell contributed to this report.