VIEWPOINT: Don’t install porn filter, help by educating ignorant

I was reading the Monday, Aug. 30 edition of the Tribune for the DPS reports and saw ‘porn’ in a title, along with ‘filter.’

I was not happy. Pardon my strong language, but I could not see why someone would ever lobby this idea, especially on a college campus.

To say porn is socially acceptable would be fallacious, but porn is so ingrained in our generation’s culture that it has had a brief stint in public television, whether it be commercials or an actual program.

I feel the author who wrote this article was abhorrently biased against porn, when the general consensus is all of us have been subject to the “drug” but seem to have avoided the objectification of women, not to mention the objectification of objects.

Just as well, the facts about the sex industry making around $14 billion a year is accurate for the Pre-recession era. After Wall Street collapsed, there has been no accurate revenue total because as both CNBC and WIRED magazine put it, “porn is no longer recession-proof.”

Porn is only a drug if you are addicted, and censoring that will not help anyone. The addict should seek professional help.

Don’t save the world by making rules. Help it out by educating the ignorant.

So please, next time you want to suggest a filter on anything, give it some thought.

Tim Demarco is a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences