Abbottsford RA connected to four burglaries

A resident assistant in Abbottsford Hall has been connected to four burglaries in the residence hall, according to the Department of Public Safety.

Two students noticed their missing personal items in their resident assistant’s room while filling out paperwork last week. The students went to their hall director to report they had seen two pieces of their clothing hanging in their RA’s closet. DPS performed a search of the room on Friday.

Upon investigation, officers were able to recover the clothing, but they were unable to recover a necklace that one of the students reported missing.

The RA originally told DPS that a relative had bought her most of the items, but after further questioning, she admitted to taking the clothing.

One of the students requested assistance from the Milwaukee Police Department to file a complaint. The RA was cited for municipal theft and released. She was then moved out of the residence hall to another location.

After the incident, DPS officers connected the RA with three additional burglaries after conducting a search of her Abbottsford room and new residence.

Seven other incidents are still under investigation, and it is undetermined if the suspect has any involvement, according to Rob Krystowiak, a public safety investigator for DPS.

It is not known whether the RA used a key to gain entry. According to Russell Shaw, associate director of DPS, there were no signs of forced entry to students’ rooms.

In total, two of the four burglaries have resulted in citations of municipal theft by MPD. It is unclear if additional citations will be given.

The RA in question was contacted by the Tribune on Wednesday, but she declined to comment.

Items found in the RA’s two rooms include a fleece jacket, another jacket, two shirts, three scarves, a headband and a can opener.

An Abbottsford resident said her $200 Tiffany bracelet that went missing in September has also been recovered. When she told her RA about the bracelet, the RA sent an e-mail to floor residents, saying “everyone should watch their stuff,” according to the student, who did not want to be identified.

“I never would have suspected her,” she said. “When I found out it was my RA, I was shocked. I wanted to throw up.”

The student said Residence Life officials talked with residents on Sunday about the burglaries, but stopped short of connecting their RA to the incidents. However, they were told the RA has been placed on temporary suspension of her duties.

Another student who also refused to be identified said many residents were good friends with the RA, but now “everyone is surprised and confused” following the burglaries.

James McMahon, dean of Residence Life, said he could not address issues dealing with personnel. However, he said his office supports students to report any suspected theft.

“We encourage students to come forward to the Department of Public Safety if any of their property is missing,” McMahon said.

Chris Miller, vice president of Student Affairs, also did not comment on the burglaries, but said student safety is one of his division’s top priorities.

“We take these types of incidents very seriously,” Miller said. “We are not going to deviate in terms of making sure students feel safe in their community.”

According to DPS, other items still missing include two fleece jackets, three other jackets, three women’s tops/shirts, three necklaces, a pair of earrings, a wristlet, a ring, a headband, a purse, face powder and two DVDs.