LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Kelly’s club football column unfair

I enjoyed reading Mr. Kelly’s article in the Viewpoints section on Tuesday (10/6), “How to cope with no football,” about his personal issues and selfish wants for a football team so he can go tailgate and play bag toss with his friends.

But hear this, this university will never have a football team because it has no support from the student body.

I am so sick of people whining about why we don’t have a football team here but then do nothing to help make one.

Another problem I have with the article is that he took all the time to get the information about the club rugby team (exact location of where they play and when), but took no time to find out the status of the club football team, our game schedule and when and where we play.

What is it exactly that’s so amusing about the idea of going to a club football game, as if it were a lesser form of entertainment?

This is the third year we have participated in the Midwestern Club Football Conference, a conference the Marquette club team co-founded.

A conference made up of eight schools (Marquette, Xavier University, University Southern Illinois Edwardsville, University of Michigan — Flint, Wright State, University of New Orleans, Ohio State University and Miami University) to show this great university should be represented with an NCAA team and that there is interest.

In order for us to get the university a D1 or even D2 or D3 team means fighting through a lot of administrative red tape.

The only way to make that possible is with support for the team that this university has. With no support, why would the university even consider allowing a D1 team?

As for the quip against the club football team “Go to a club football game… Just kidding,” I find it inappropriate and an unnecessary shot at our team.

Schedules are posted around campus and in all the residence halls with the game schedule on them. We put them up to try to attract students to the games and create a buzz for football.

I would strongly recommend that anyone who has the time to come, suit up and play or even come to a game, to see what club football is really about before you make fun of it.

Brad Bartels is a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences and the co-captain and treasurer of Marquette Club Football.