Women’s soccer falls 3-1 to Rutgers

The Marquette women’s soccer team lost its first home game of the 2009 season, falling 3-1 Friday night at the hands of No. 13 Rutgers.

The final scoreboard did not tell the tale of the game, as Marquette outshot the Scarlet Knights 19-6 and had eight corners compared to Rutgers’ zero.

The Golden Eagles opened up the scoring in the 14th minute when Rosie Malone-Povolny connected on a service from Allison McBride. Malone-Povolny headed the ball past Rutgers goalkeeper Erin Guthrie, who had allowed just five goals prior to tonight’s match.

Unfortunately for Roeders and his squad, the early 1-0 deficit sparked a fire under the Scarlet Knights.

“It was a disappointing result because we started off well, highlighted with a great goal,” coach Markus Roeders said. “Right after that, though, we sparked something within them and they came right back and scored two great goals.”

Two minutes after the Golden Eagles pulled ahead, Rutgers notched the equalizer coming off a header, which was redirected on a set piece.

In the 21st minute, the Scarlet Knights took advantage of Marquette’s inability to clear the ball from its own box and Rutgers forward April Price chipped a shot over the head of goalkeeper Natalie Kulla.

“Obviously you can’t let games get away from you,” Malone-Povolny said. “We came out pretty strong and kind of let up once we scored.”

Senior defender Katie Miller said the defense played decently but needs to work together to see better results.

“Tonight our defense was a little more chaotic,” Miller said. “We need to be solid and get our act together.

“We need to communicate and play more as a unit.”

The teams went into the half with the Scarlet Knights leading 2-1.

Like its previous few games, Marquette had quality scoring chances but was unable to capitalize. In the 51st minute, midfielder Julia Victor blasted a free kick from 22 yards out that clanged off the crossbar.

“You have to finish your chances and we were unable to do that tonight,” Malone-Povolny said. “Scoring is intangible but one thing our coaches brought up is having that confidence and swagger when you walk on the field.”

Rutgers all but put the game out of reach when forward Julia Lancos fired a free kick past the Golden Eagles wall and a diving Kulla into the back of the net.

“You have to give them credit because the few chances they had, they took advantage of them,” Roeders said.

For the next 35 minutes, Marquette pressured the Rutgers back line, but to no avail. The Golden Eagles were only able to put six shots on goal and Guthrie was solid all night.

“We lit up the sheet again with shots, but we have nothing to show for it,” Roeders said.

Marquette returns to Valley Fields Sunday to take on the Seton Hall Pirates (4-5-1, 0-2-1 Big East), which is currently one of four teams without a win in conference.