DPS Reports

,”Mar. 26

At approximately 5 p.m. an 18-year-old male student entered the McCormick Hall cafeteria. The student noticed that his MUID was missing 20 minutes later when he left to go play basketball. At 7:45 p.m., the student decided to deactivate the card and noticed that two purchases for $3 worth of merchandise had been made without his consent at the McCormick Hall vending machines. DPS was contacted, and after reviewing videotape of the vending machines, officers identified a 34-year-old female Sodexo employee as an alleged suspect in the fraudulent use of the student's MUID. The suspect currently denies these allegations.

Mar. 27

At 1:18 p.m. a 22-year-old female student reported that an unknown vehicle struck her parked, unattended vehicle in the Structure Two parking garage. Rub marks on the driver's side of the car's rear bumper caused an estimated $500 in damages. There are no suspects as of press time.

At 3:21 p.m. a DPS communications officer dispatched all available units to a possible entry of a student residence in the 900 block of North 18th Street. When officers arrived at the residence, they determined that three middle-aged male suspects had already fled the scene, taking with them a bicycle from the basement of the residence. Minutes later, officers located three men, who matched the suspects' descriptions, and a bicycle at the intersection of 15th Street and Kilbourn Avenue. The 19- and 20-year-old male student victims were able to identify the men and the bicycle. The Milwaukee Police Department was contacted, and took two of the suspects into custody. All three men received state charges of theft and criminal trespass to dwelling. The students' property was recovered.

Mar. 28

At 2:57 a.m. DPS officers were dispatched to McCormick Hall, where they met with an on-duty residence assistant. The RA requested that the officers go to the dorm's fifth floor, where a burning smell had been detected in the stairwell. When the officers arrived at the scene, they discovered a fireworks device that had been placed and lit in the stairwell. The officers then heard yelling coming from a nearby dorm room, and interrogated the students in the room. They admitted to setting off the firework and claimed that the act was horseplay. The officers also discovered open and unopened bottles of alcohol and a fraudulent Michigan driver's license in the room. A 19-year-old male student admitted that the fake ID was his. He said he used the ID to purchase the alcohol and he was responsible for lighting the firework off in the stairwell. The student was issued an MPD referral slip, and the ID was confiscated.