STAFF EDITORIAL: Schulz exemplary of Marquette’s four pillars

Many people simply talk about Jesuit ideals. But others actually live out these ideals in their lives' work. Marquette is lucky enough to host one of those people on campus this afternoon, and we urge all students to attend.

At 2 p.m. today, William Shulz, former executive director of Amnesty International, will speak on human rights and the Obama administration.

We are interested to hear what Shulz has to say about this topic. Schulz's speech will undoubtedly be informative, but more importantly, he has much to teach students about living out Jesuit ideals. Much of his history is exemplary of Marquette's four pillars: faith, leadership, excellence and service.

Faith: Schulz is an ordained Unitarian Universalist minister. For nearly 10 years, he served on the Council of the International Association for Religious Freedom, the world's oldest international interfaith organization.

Leadership: In 1994, Schulz was appointed executive director of Amnesty International. There, he led missions to Romania, India, the Middle East, Northern Ireland, Darfur, Liberia and Cuba. He is currently a member of the Council on Foreign Relations.

Excellence: Schulz is an expert on human rights around the world. He is also the author of two books and spent a semester teaching at Harvard University.

Service: From the beginning of his career, Schulz has championed the rights of women, of laborers and of ethnic and religious minorities. Schulz is also a member of the International Advisory Committee for the Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights Award.

Schulz's positions on gay marriage and abortion can bring him into conflict with the Roman Catholic point of view. In light of his other accomplishments, we applaud the university for bringing a speaker with diverse viewpoints to campus. Jesuit ideals can be manifested in myriad ways, and Schulz is worthy of the university's commendation. Students deserve to hear his words. Take advantage of the opportunity to hear the accomplished Schulz speak on the important topic of human rights and the Obama administration.