Women’s tennis looking to recapture magic

As the No. 73-ranked women's tennis team prepares to play Wisconsin tomorrow, coach Jody Bronson is looking for the same swagger that led to the upset of another rival.

"We need to play like we played against Louisville," Bronson said. "We need to come out, we need to be aggressive, we need to be prepared and to be able to execute our shots."

Over the weekend, the team closed out a seven-match home-stand with wins over Illinois State and Toledo, improving its record to 8-3. The Golden Eagles now face a three game road stint beginning in Madison and ending this weekend with a dual match versus Villanova and Rutgers in Piscataway, New Jersey.

Since defeating then-No. 42 Louisville earlier this month, the Golden Eagles are 3-1, including a tough 5-2 loss to then-No. 61 Iowa and a too-close-for-comfort 4-3 win over Illinois State Sunday.

Bronson said the team must improve to have a shot at the No. 68 Badgers.

"I don't think the energy was there, I don't think the thought process was as good as it could have been," Bronson said after Sunday's match. "We have to understand if we're going to keep winning those are the things we have to do every single day."

Sunday had its share of road bumps, including an injury to sophomore Rachael Hush. Hush notched an 8-2 win at No. 3 doubles with sister Gillian to start the day and was leading 6-3, 4-6, 2-1 in her debut at No. 3 singles when she was forced to default with a rotator cuff injury. A change in her serve form may be to blame for the injury, Hush said.

"By the end of the first match I knew something wasn't right," she said. "I hope to be all ready for Wisconsin."

Bronson said Hush would have continued to play if the team had needed the match for the overall victory.

"Since the match hadn't been decided until Olga got done, she was going to play until we knew we could win one of these matches," Bronson said. "Once we had the team's score secure, we were going to default her because we need her for Wednesday."

Senior Robin Metzler continued her solid play last weekend, taking both singles matches at the No. 5 position after being moved up from No. 6. Metzler is 7-2 on the season in singles play, winning her last six. Her change in position has not affected her strategy, she said.

"It hasn't affected how I play," Metzler said. "I focus on playing my game no matter what position I'm in."

Junior Kylie Moore, who had been handling No. 5 and No. 6 singles and No. 1 doubles duties with freshman Paola Calderon, sat out of Saturday's match against Illinois State with a sore leg. Bronson said she wanted to be sure Moore was in good shape for Wednesday's match.

The Golden Eagles face the Badgers tomorrow at 5 p.m in Madison.