Pink Zone lends support beyond the McGuire Center

• The Center for Health Education and Promotion is collecting new and gently used bras on campus until Sunday Feb. 15.
  • The donated bras will be given to the Sexual Assault Treatment Center of Greater Milwaukee.
  • The Pink Zone bra collection is in conjunction with the Pink Zone women's basketball game and Women's Health Fair that will be held on Feb. 15 in the Al McGuire Center.

The Center for Health Education and Promotion begins its Pink Zone bra collection at different locations across campus this week.

According to Lindsey Jacob, a peer health educator and bra drive coordinator, any new or gently used bras donated will go to the Sexual Assault Treatment Center of Greater Milwaukee at the Aurora Sinai Medical Center on North 12th Street.

"Anyone who has experienced sexual assault can go there for treatment after the sexual assault has occurred," said Jacob, a senior in the College of Business Administration.

But Jacob said the Sexual Assault Treatment Center is oftentimes forced to hold on to assault victims' clothing for different testing purposes.

"They don't always have the right sizes or enough undergarments to give back to the women who come in," Jacob said. "So they are welcoming anything we can give them with open arms."

According to Jacob, the pink-labeled bra donation boxes will go out today in Cobeen, Straz, Schroeder and McCormick Residence Halls, as well as next to the information desk in the Alumni Memorial Union.

The drive is scheduled to run until Feb. 15, Jacob said.

The bra collection is in conjunction with the Pink Zone women's basketball game and Women's Health Fair to be held on Feb. 15 at the Al McGuire Center in support of breast cancer awareness. The women's basketball team will play West Virginia at 1 p.m.

The interactive health fair will begin at noon, featuring activities and educational materials to stay healthy, said Colleen O'Donnell, a peer health educator and a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences.

Jacob said the bra collection is just one of many events sponsored by the Center for Health Education and Promotion. Other events includes awareness weeks for stress and relaxation, HIV and AIDS and alcohol. The center also sponsors Love Your Body Week and National Nutrition Month, which will begin in March.

"We are kind of the middle link between students on campus and health services," Jacob said. "We're all about college students helping other college students."

Lindsey Thome, a peer health educator and a senior in the College of Nursing, said the main goal of the center is to use interactive programming to educate and empower students with resources that will help them make healthy decisions.

"We just look to enhance the well-being of our students and other members of the Marquette community," Thome said.