IT Services recycles computers

• Marquette is making efforts to safely recycle old university computers through its Computer Replacement Program.
  • The program replaces one-fourth of university purchased computers per year.
  • Old computers are recycled by the Digital Workforce Education Society.
  • DWES is an international non-profit organization that provides reusable computers for technology training of low-income and minority populations in Wisconsin and Illinois.
  • DWES also breaks down obsolete computers into recyclable parts.

Marquette is making an effort to recycle old computers in a way that protects the safety of personal information and the environment.

The issue was discussed at a town hall meeting between administration, faculty and staff held earlier this month.

Marquette replaces a quarter of university-purchased computers each year, according to the Information Technology Services Web site. For every new computer allocated on campus, an old computer is recycled through the school's Computer Replacement Program.

Tim Olsen, university communication manager, said hard drives from old computers are completely wiped of data, then "demanufactured" or wholly recycled, depending on their age and condition.

Marquette recycles whole computers through the Digital Workforce Education Society, an international non-profit organization that manages an electronics recycling and refurbishing program in Wisconsin and Illinois, Olsen said. The organization works with state governmental agencies, higher education institutions and non-profit community organizations.

DWES picks up Marquette's old equipment and either refurbishes it for use by area non-profit organizations or demanufactures it.

Non-profit groups use the computers for entry-level technology job training for low-income and minority populations in Wisconsin and Illinois, Olsen said.

Demanufactured items are taken apart and individual glass, plastic and metal components are recycled.

The initial demanufacturing takes place at a facility in Milwaukee, said Paul Thomas, director of support services for ITS.

A facility in the Chicago area finishes breaking down the computers, Thomas said. This includes taking out the copper and melting certain components.

"(DWES) does whatever is needed to make sure that the computer parts don't end up in landfills," Thomas said.

Sarah Cordova, an associate professor of French, inquired about university computer recycling practices and submitted a question at the town hall forum. Cordova said she had heard a BBC report about computers from industrialized nations being sent to Africa for recycling.

The August report showed computers sent to Ghana scrapped for parts released toxins into the environment.

Cordova said the report is an example of "the West disposing of their waste and dumping it on other nations under false pretexts."

At the forum, University President the Rev. Robert A. Wild cited the school's Computer Replacement Program in response to recycling concerns. Funding for the program, instituted in fiscal year 2004, comes from the university capital budget. Fiscal year 2009 funds total $1.3 million, according to the ITS Web site.

Jenny Alexander, director of purchasing, said the university has had a partnership with DWES for a year and a half.

Marquette also has a contract with Paragon Development Systems, Inc., to purchase new computers, Olsen said. The company, located in Oconomowoc, works with hospitals, schools and government agencies in the Midwest.

Katie Frisvold, manager of logistic services at PDS, said the company has supplied 250 new computers to Marquette since July.