Big East women’s basketball notebook

No. 16 Notre Dame beat No. 18 Pittsburgh by a score of 81-66 on Sunday, earning the Fighting Irish their first win in five attempts against a ranked opponent this season. It was the first loss in five Big East road games for the Panthers.

The Fighting Irish had a 13-point advantage at the free-throw line, even though they took five more shots and kept the Panthers to a season-low 31 percent shooting. Notre Dame moved to 7-0 this season when it has five players in double figures.

Notre Dame head coach Muffet McGraw told reporters after the game that the win was key for the Fighting Irish. They play three more ranked opponents in the next four games.

Rutgers' royalty shines

Epiphanny Prince was named Big East Player of the Week after her contribution in Rutgers' 73-71 upset of top-ranked and previously undefeated Connecticut on Feb. 5.

The sophomore guard tallied 33 points, added six rebounds and a career-tying six steals. Prince was a perfect 11-of-11 from the foul line and made 10-of-20 shots from the field.

In the second half alone, she scored 27 points, was 8-of-18 from the field, 2-of-3 from beyond the arc and 9-of-9 from the foul line. This is Prince's first Player of the Week honor of her career, after being named Freshman of the Week once during the 2006-'07 season.

Bearcats rebound

Cincinnati snapped an eight-game losing streak with their 74-67 win over South Florida at home on Feb. 9. The Bearcats were lead by sophomore guard Kahla Roudebush, who had a career-high 25 points along with nine rebounds and shot 6-of-6 from the free-throw line. As a team, Cincinnati was 18-of-19 from the charity stripe.