A hazy shade of green

Most would agree that a "D minus" is not an acceptable grade for a Marquette student and especially not for the university as an institution. But that was the original grade given to the university for energy sustainability in the College Sustainability Report Card 2008 by the Sustainable Endowments Institute.

But the university has already taken measures that brought the grade up to a "C minus," according to Toby Peters, associate vice president of the Office of Administration. He said one of the problems with the report is that it is too heavily weighted on the endowment part rather than actual progress made.

"We are committed to sustainability," Peters said. "Marquette does good things and will continue to do more good things in terms of energy efficiency."

Peters said the administration constantly looks for new ways to conserve and improve, such as issuing a "sustainability statement" that can be found on the university's Web site.

The statement includes different ways the university conserves energy, such as recycling, donating used computers to organizations in need, using energy efficient light fixtures, constructing green buildings, emphasizing public transportation and using steam for all campus heating, which is more efficient than natural gas or electricity.

According to the statement, one of the main goals of the sustainability initiative is to "reduce the amount of energy consumed by mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems, components and fixtures, thereby producing a corresponding reduction in energy costs."

One specific improvement included in the statement is replacing 40-watt fluorescent tubes with 34-watt fluorescent tubes. The statement said the new tubes are more energy efficient and produce as much light as the old tubes.

Peters said in addition to the statement, the administration plans to create a sustainability task force next semester to further improve energy efficiency on campus. He said the task force will also include student representation.

Despite pressure for the university to purchase renewable energy, Peters said it is difficult because using renewable energy can cost up to 30 percent more than using current forms of energy. He said the university should first become more energy efficient before it purchases renewable energy.

"Why pay more when we can use less first?" Peters said.

Peters said sustainability comes at the hands of both the administration and the students. He said progress depends on the end user and that students need to spread the word and become more passionate about the issue.

Lianna Bishop, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences, agreed and said students need to show more support.

"It all starts with the individual," Bishop said.

Bishop said the administration's current commitment to sustainability is poor.

"Marquette as a whole community needs to be more committed to being environmentally responsible," Bishop said. She said it requires a dual effort from both students and the administration.

Ben Weiland, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences, said the administration should first focus on simple things to make ways of conserving energy more available to students. After researching for a paper in his environmental ethics class, Weiland said some measures other universities have taken include using different light bulbs, distributing more waste and recycling receptacles, installing solar panels and replacing or fixing leaky faucets.

Weiland said "going green" is becoming more popular and necessary when a student searches for a job. He said Marquette is taking measures to improve energy efficiency but that he is not sure if it is because the university actually wants to make a difference or if it is to stay on track with competing universities.

"There's a big difference between having a PR campaign and actually doing something," Weiland said.