Marquette honors America’s veterans

Natalie Ferbezar, junior in the College of Arts & Sciences and Navy ROTC member, helped organize the ceremony and said it was a great way for three ROTC branches to come together: Navy, Air Force and Army.,”Classes may not be excused, but Veterans Day still means something to Marquette students, as more than 50 members of the Reserve Officers' Training Corps program gathered in the Alumni Memorial Union Friday to remember and honor the nation's veterans.

Natalie Ferbezar, junior in the College of Arts & Sciences and Navy ROTC member, helped organize the ceremony and said it was a great way for the three ROTC branches—Navy, Air Force and Army—to come together.

Ferbezar said ROTC holds the event every year.

The ceremony's featured speaker, Steve Roberts, assistant operations officer for the Wisconsin National Guard, said he was honored to speak at such an event because Veterans Day is such a meaningful subject.

"All across our nation, Americans are gathering together to honor veterans and to remember all the men and women who have selflessly answered our nation's call to duty," Roberts said.

His speech touched on the country's war history and the history of Veterans Day. He said the tradition of honoring veterans began after 116,000 Americans died in World War I.

Roberts said Veterans Day is about recognizing those Americans who served the country "with honor, courage and distinction, both at home and abroad." He said the nation honors veterans because they "did what they didn't have to do."

Roberts paused in his speech to also recognize the families of Wisconsin veterans. He said ROTC is a special program and those currently volunteering mean a lot to the nation.

"We appreciate those men and women serving in today's military – those who will be tomorrow's veterans," Roberts said.

After Roberts closed in prayer, ROTC presented the colors and the national anthem was played.

The 15-minute ceremony opened and closed with prayer by Steve Blaha, assistant director of University Ministry.

"Even though we're students, we're still part of a bigger picture," said Julie Strecker, senior in the College of Arts & Sciences and Army ROTC member. Strecker helped organize the event with Ferbezar and Katherine Chappell, Air Force ROTC member and a senior at the Milwaukee School of Engineering.