HPV vaccinations now available to female students on-campus

HPV is a group of viruses that includes more than 100 strains, more than 30 of which are sexually transmitted and can infect the genital area of both men and women, according to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in the U.,”Student Health Service offers human papillomavirus vaccinations to female students to help prevent sexually transmitted diseases.

HPV is a group of viruses that includes more than 100 strains, more than 30 of which are sexually transmitted and can infect the genital area of both men and women, according to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

Keli Wollmer, physician assistant and clinical coordinator in SHS, said students should get the vaccine to help prevent genital warts and cervical cancer. She said SHS has been offering the HPV vaccinations to female students for about a year. According to the CDC, studies are currently being done to test if the vaccine is also safe and effective for men.

"We decided to offer the vaccine as many of our students fit in the targeted age group of 13 to 26 year olds," Wollmer said. "We do many women's health exams, pap smears and STD evaluations and want to offer a complete exam and preventive health package for our patients."

Wollmer said the vaccine does not protect against all types of HPV, so pap smears and cervical cancer screening are also important.

The HPV vaccination – which is given through a shot in the arm – consists of three doses, according to Vanessa Mann, patient services representative in SHS. The second dose is given two months after the first, with the last dose given four months after the second dose, she said.

Mann said SHS offers the vaccine for $135 per dose for undergraduates, while graduate students must pay $145 per dose in addition to a $15 administration fee.

Kaylee Lucco, a sophomore in the College of Business Administration, said she thinks younger teens will utilize the HPV vaccine more than college students.

"I have a sister in high school and her and her friends are getting it," she said.

Lucco first heard about HPV from her doctor and said neither she nor any of her friends at Marquette have talked about getting the vaccination.

According to CDC, about 20 million people currently have some form of HPV. By age 50, at least 80 percent of women will have acquired genital HPV infection. There is no treatment for HPV, but most women's bodies eventually fight it off within a couple years.

Wollmer said there are no major side effects from the HPV vaccine, but some people may experience allergic reactions, pain or itching at the injection site in the arm, redness or swelling at the injection site or a low-grade fever.

In addition to the HPV vaccine, Wollmer said SHS offers STD testing, HIV testing, pap smears and individual counseling on STD prevention.

But SHS does not offer all forms of STD prevention.

"In keeping with the Catholic tradition regarding birth control and the Jesuit practice of reflection, we do not offer contraception or condoms at SHS," Wollmer said.

According to the SHS, sexual health and intimacy statement, "Students are encouraged to seek clarification regarding sexual intimacy within the Catholic philosophy with University Ministry staff."

Lucco said she is surprised that SHS even offers HPV vaccinations since Marquette is a Catholic institution. She said her friends from similar religious schools are not offered such forms of STD protection.

Wollmer said using a condom every time and in the correct way will help protect against HPV, but she said condoms cannot provide full protection from it. She said SHS does see cases of STD transmission including HPV in patients that report using a condom.